My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to buy the same mower I currently own for a few extra parts I wouldn't mind having as spares, mainly the engine and transmission. the thing is Im only going to need a mower for another two summers. and am wondering if its worth the trouble etc.?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Only you can answer that - what is your free time worth?

If you have the time and energy to disassemble the mower, clean the parts, take good pictures of them, write up your ads, post the ads and pictures, deal with the emails, payments, etc., then obtain proper packing materials, pack the parts, ship the parts, and then do the feedback, and all this assuming that you don't get any deadbeat buyers or have other issues with the transaction, then I say go for it!

But don't calculate your hourly pay from this endeavor, as you won't like the resulting number. You can make far more by mowing an exta lawn or two with your one good mower.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
I think it would depend largely on the parts value. Larger, low ticket items are a tough proposition on eBay.

And Redmond is dead on with the other factors.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Yes, And it's a pointless waste of time.

It is simply not worth it to strip a mower, Do everything relating to posting an ad (See RedmondJP's Post above), Waiting for someone to buy the part, Hoping they pay you, Shipping etc..

I could go on.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
You might be better off taking the parts you want, and those you might need later, then sticking the rest of the mower out behind the garage or taking it to the local recycling center.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Only you can answer that - what is your free time worth?

If you have the time and energy to disassemble the mower, clean the parts, take good pictures of them, write up your ads, post the ads and pictures, deal with the emails, payments, etc., then obtain proper packing materials, pack the parts, ship the parts, and then do the feedback, and all this assuming that you don't get any deadbeat buyers or have other issues with the transaction, then I say go for it!

But don't calculate your hourly pay from this endeavor, as you won't like the resulting number. You can make far more by mowing an exta lawn or two with your one good mower.
with a pay-pal account you get paid.
but factor in the shipping costs. and that can kill a deal.
you must watch you ad's closely.
and expect to sit on parts for YEARS.

but yes you never want to know how many hrs you spent on this deal.
make better money mowing lawns for the area you live in.
but could save someone's bacon buy having "that" part he needs bad.

clean up everything. three/six photos of everything. (make sure you do a parts number /posting on every item).
got a barn with plenty of space to store the parts out of the weather?
and boxe$? use only good one$. or damage will happen. take photos of item as you pack it.

deal through a po box. NOT your home address. never allow the buyer to know where you live.
never do a money order ONLY pay-pal.
never accept a check for "over payment" for a refund of the overages=scam
can work as a side job. but do not expect to retire on the proceeds.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have bought and sold on ebay for years. All the reasons above do have some merit. The main reason I sell is it puts money in my paypal account so I can get parts I need. Sort of like trading parts?? Just getting them to the correct person that needs it. Some times I am happy to get it because I cannot find it local. What part I want to sell I look it up on ebay and craiglist to see if people are selling it and at what price. If there is 100 of them selling on ebay probably not much call for it. Starting at $5 to $25. If I am buying I will buy at the lower end of the scale the same go with selling I will list it low. Most of the item are like what you have I need a few parts off something, and just sell the rest. I am NOT like some guy buy a running machine and part it out to make money. Of course there is ebay and paypal fees. So items for under $5. I normally don't list. When I list it I have a box for it and ready to ship. Watch your shipping fees. I normally list an item in the auction part and it will renew for 3 times. Then you can relist it till it sells. But there is a fee every month. I have shipped large items and small items, all over the world. It does take time. You have to make that decision is it worth it. Just my 2 cents !!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts