My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this tractor 12 years ago kinda beat up didn't run paid $5 for it.. While in High school it became my project for shop class. re did the paint first time doing body work..no bondo used all holes filled in with body paint. replaced the battery spark plug and wiring, flushed the motor and it fired right up. it was used to move cars around my dads shop but now im looking at using it more around the house. not sure of the make or model or year, like i said it was in rough shape. fired it up and went to put it gear sounds like it needs a new belt and there maybe something going on with the shift linkage and or transfer case. not knowing what the make or model this guy is maybe someone here does. the two tags have the model number of 147 760 026? nothing in google search. the other one is a serial number of 41-000-8562 again cant find anything any ideas?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Very nice looking tractor there. You did a great job on it for sure. It looks to be pretty heavy duty and it may be an older MTD tractor.

There's a few pictures from an old post on mytractorforum.com that might help you out.

MTD worth restoring? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

Here's one that was on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-MTD-10-hp-34-deck-riding-mower-/321792350334?nma=true&si=QohL8W6PCZqNb9FmCNGnzc6Y5i4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

MTD is actually pretty helpful in getting information about their older products. I had a little 700 series a few years ago and they were able to provide me with an owner's manual from their archives. Mine was a 1968 or 69 as I recall. This link will tell you how to contact them for more help in identifying it when the model numbers are hard to read, or are on what they call an obsolete machine.

Unable to Identify Model Number or Serial Number

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Nice work, thanks for sharing! It looks like it's got a big block under the hood. :cool

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow thanks i just remember the guy saying it was a craftsman mower and now that would explain not able to find any info on it.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Those older MTDs were some pretty tough tractors and have a pretty strong following.

Here's the little Model 700 I had. The frame on it was as heavy as my big 16HP Suburban. Oh if I only had a bigger garage, I'd have kept it.

DSCF1164.jpg

Let us know if you get in touch with MTD and what you find out from them. Can't wait to see your future projects too.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
WOW! That sure is a sturdy looking machine like Bruce said! My '67 Suburban looks like is also in strength department! COOL MACHINE! :)

Reactions: bigwill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no lie about it being heavy. this thing out weighs my other mowers for sure. as far as reaching out to MTD im having a hard time finding the model number for it. the one in the pic does not show up in their directory. I just hope that when i re did the body work on it i didnt destroy the tag. i just need to find what gear oil to use and the size of the drive belt. The one i have on it is a little big and slips every now and then.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
I think you've got enough information there to give them a call and see what they might be able to dig up for you.

They show a list of questions to consider when trying to track down the proper model number, and even state that they'll look at pictures to help out.

Riding Mowers

1) What brand name appears on the unit?
2) What engine model does it have?
3) What company made the engine?
4) What are the engine model numbers, serial numbers or any other engine code numbers?
5) What color is the hood over the engine?
6) Does the engine compartment feature side panels to enclose the engine?
7) Where did you purchase it?
8) Did you purchase it new?
9) What year did you purchase it?
10) What size rear tires does it have?
11) How many foot pedals does it have?
12) Are the foot pedals on the right or left side or both?
13) How many speeds does the unit have?
14) Is the transmission gear driven or hydraulic driven?
15) What is the width and how many blades does the cutting deck have?

Sometimes, when you have nothing better to do, you can play around with those numbers and maybe come up with the one you're looking for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts