My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mow between 3 and 4 acres and have realized that the "5 year mowers" sold in the "big box stores" aren't up to the job. I've looked at the CC 2100 with the fabricated 54" deck. I like it because it is shaft-driven and get tired of changing drive belts.
I've also checked out the JD 320 with the 54 inch deck. I'd like to "go bigger" but so does the price by a whole bunch. Anyone have any thoughts, comments, criticisms, opinions, or especially experience with either of these two. Thanks, Darrell
BTW, my "boys" are heading toward the trapped ships in Antarctica with the Polar Star, one big, bad hunk of icebreaker. 15,000 HP should get the job done. Semper Paratus!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Welcome Cedar!
You sound like your in the right area of machine for you! Depends on new/used and how easy it is to get parts by you? Also preference to color! ;)
Take it you are Navy? Cool!!

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
They're comparable, I'd say. Other than color preference, like Eric says, ;) the most important thing is the dealer. Go with whichever dealer seems more honest and willing to provide product support and handle any warranty claims. There's nothing worse then a bad dealer who doesn't want anything to do with you once they've got your money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone familiar with the "rumors" there is a preponderance of chinese parts on the CC?
And thanks for the info., help, and good advice.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Sorry to disappoint, but Coast Guard. Liberty ports to few and far between in Antarctica to suit the Navy.
Sorry to show my ignorance in this matter! :bag:
All I knew was the ship in general!! :sorry: :sidelaugh

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
That's a fascinating story about the ship in Antarctica. Hope you'll keep us posted on what's going on.

With the concerns over price point that all manufactures seem to dwell on these days, it's not unlikely that all have bits and pieces sourced from all over the world. I've heard it said time and again that the quality of the items coming from China, or anywhere else for that matter, depends on the specifications set by the parent company.

While an honest dealer ought to be really helpful in making your decision, sometimes independent mechanics are good sources for what breaks and what lasts because they may not be tied to any specific brand by a franchise, so it pays to talk around to see what those in the field have to say. There are lots of folks here with experience with the brands you're looking at, and I'm sure they'll chime in with their personal observations.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
EricJr16, no problem. Most sailors "smell alike" anyway. Diesel, lube oil, "bad chow".
To keep up with the Polar Star, you can go here:
U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Polar Star to assist vessels in Antarctica « Coast Guard Compass
BTW, my breaker, the Staten Island, sadly, has long since been scrapped for "rice burners" and razor blades. 269 feet, six Fairbanks-Morse opposed piston locomotive diesels turning 900 volt, 1400 amp GE generators. The supplied power to two Westinghouse electric motors giving us 10,000 shaft horsepower. We could break ice 12-15 feet thick. Tests and studies on our ship were uses to design the "Polar" class breakers.
Thought some of you gear heads might like these facts.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Darrell, have you looked at Craigslist or EBAY locally? I have done VERY Well on these sites for our machines! some need a lot of work, others are simple fixes people give up on them! Look at the John Deere L108 I just bought. They were going to sell for PARTS!? All hat it needed was a head gasket!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've decided on a Cub 2000 series, but just wondering, is power steering and a tilt wheel worth the extra money? Any thoughts, opinions, experience?

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
It depends on the conditions you'll be using it in. If you're going to use the mower a lot, and do a lot of turning, the power steering and the tilt might be a life saver, but if you don't plan on using it that much, they might be overkill.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Another thing to break also if not needed. If you have shoulder issues or any issue of that sort, might be life saver!?

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
EricJr16, no problem. Most sailors "smell alike" anyway. Diesel, lube oil, "bad chow".
To keep up with the Polar Star, you can go here:
U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Polar Star to assist vessels in Antarctica « Coast Guard Compass
BTW, my breaker, the Staten Island, sadly, has long since been scrapped for "rice burners" and razor blades. 269 feet, six Fairbanks-Morse opposed piston locomotive diesels turning 900 volt, 1400 amp GE generators. The supplied power to two Westinghouse electric motors giving us 10,000 shaft horsepower. We could break ice 12-15 feet thick. Tests and studies on our ship were uses to design the "Polar" class breakers.
Thought some of you gear heads might like these facts.
You bet we do! :)

Thanks for posting the link, very captivating.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Same here!!:ditto::ditto::2th:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts