My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not long ago I showed a mower that died an untimely death because it's owner didn't take care to keep the engine free of debris.http://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/forum/5-small-engine-repair-discussion/3418-keep-off-grass.html

Here's another example of what can happen when you don't keep off the grass.

The underside of this poor little mower with a metal deck had obviously never been cleaned off. The stuff in wet grass and fertilizers we use will eventually eat right through a mower deck if not cleaned off regularly.

Yep, that's sunshine showing through from the other side! Plus, there is supposed to be a panel extending forward from the rear axel. It has been eaten away completely by rust!

There's definitely DANGER behind that label! That's where all the grass gets thrown as you mow with this mower.

Too bad too, because the engine and transmission are in good shape on this mower.

Seriously, take some time to clean of the underside of the decks on your mowers folks. Do so safely. Remove the spark plug wire, it's recommended you drain the gas from the gas tank too. Stand the mower on it's side with the carburetor on the up hill side so oil doesn't run from the crankcase into the carburetor and air filter. Use a putty knife, or similar instrument, and scrape the grass, dirt and grime from the under side of the deck. Your mower is a fairly sizable investment. A little time and effort, and it will last a very long time for you.

This concludes our Public Service Announcement.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
That's scary.

I can't help but picture a flying rock coming out of that hole in the last photo! :eek:

Keeping the bottom of your deck clean is always a good reminder.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
My dad was always cleaning the mower after mowing. I knew it could damage it, but that is crazy! Looked neglected by the wheels too! Bald!

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suspect that someone was doing "burn outs" with this thing!:ROFL

This mower is a prime example of the not so pristine mowers Five Points mentioned in another thread that we get from time to time.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
That's such a shame, Those mowers are really good.. I'm glad you got the engine atleast.

I noticed the baldness too, However... Wheels just get bald from turning on the pavement.. frankly, they don't usually affect performance until they fall off.. In most cases the tread is almost superfluous.

-Stan

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Wow, that's the worst I've ever seen! It sure wouldn't take much to send something right into your face. I can't believe that somebody thought it was safe to use that when it was eaten that bad.:dunno:

·
Founding Administrator
1,256 Posts
What a shame, buy a piece of equipment to care for your home and not give it the care and respect it needs to keep performing for years. Glad to see it got rescued by someone that appreciates it.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not only had the deck completely rotted out, but the mounting hardware for the handle and rear wheel adjuster on that side had been rendered useless by the rust as well. But on a brighter side, the plastic side discharge chute was still in good shape.:cool

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Well, all I can say is I have stuff that is 20+ years old and looks like new, that should say how well I take care of mine

That one is a shame

Reactions: Capstan

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
:ditto:Your equipment is a reflection of you, cause if you can't keep a lawnmower running in even safe condition, you've probably got bigger problems!:sidelaugh

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
not my video video but reminded me of it, you know its safe when the rear axle/frame is held together by fabric and bungee cords!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
not my video video but reminded me of it, you know its safe when the rear axle/frame is held together by fabric and bungee cords!

I passed up an extremely worn out Honda mower being thrown out a few weeks ago where the deck was rotten to the point that the front wheels basically fell off.. It's amazing what rust can do. :soap:

-Stan

·
Banned
84 Posts
Those who treat their mowers like that likely never take their cars to car washes and and then wonder why they have a rust or paint issue.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
thats pretty bad, i think a lot of people would clean there decks more if they had a wash port built in on all of them as standard equipment

1 - 19 of 19 Posts