My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I went to a tractor show/swap meet near me and scored a standard sulky from a nice gentleman and at a reasonable price, mostly because the seat was MIA. I further got lucky when at the end of the same isle he was in I found a seat. I figured I'd be looking for a very long time. So for an initial investment of $35 I have a complete sulky.
Color me a very happy camper.

During the winter I also scored a Gravely lawn roller for $50. Thank you CL.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First up, the sulky.
Same process as in my other threads, take it all apart and get rid of the rust.
I hate RUST.

Apparently I didn't get any pictures of the sulky in bare metal, sorry.
There was nothing but rust on the frame and the rims barely had any paint left on them at all.
But here it is in all it's glory with all new paint, plus another project I was working on too. That's for my Gravely hauler.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Beautiful! I can imagine how thrilled you were to find that seat the same day at the same show.

Thanks for those pictures. Your work is fantastic.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks gentleman.
I was very pleased and feeling really lucky to have found the seat. So much so that I didn't even try to talk the guy down on the price. It helped he only wanted $20 for it though.
And Five points.......(Elmer Fudd voice on) All part of my nefarious plan. huh,huh,huh,huh. (Elmer Fudd voice off) :p:p:p:p

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just because I don't want Five points thinking I'm being mean or anything on to the lawn roller.
This was a CL find near my house as I said somewhere before and at a good price. But it didn't come without some issues, the seller was upfront about them and the repairs are not outside of my comfort zone so I popped on it as they say on american pickers.

The biggest issue is with the drum itself, there are dents here and there and they will stay but it also has multiple pin holes from being outside a lot.
I brought it to work with me and disassembled it to begin the repairs.
My first thought for the color scheme was white seat, red/orange frame and seat spring and hunter green drum ends. There are lots of pictures in old Gravely literature that show this, however while taking it apart I noticed white paint where I didn't expect to see it.
There is a trunion block setup for lack of a better way to describe it that attaches the frame to the drum, it's also where the bearings for the drum are. It's gets bolted to the frame with one bolt. It was here where I found white paint.
It also showed me why the drum would roll fine one minute and hang up the next. Rusty needle bearings. The literature for the roller says to remove the cotter pin and washer and oil the bearing a few times a year. There's a better way. My plan is to drill the casting and install a grease zerk to keep things moving along.

Back to the drawing board and do some more research.
I found the answer at Steve Chalmers web site, he had a picture of a lawn roller that had been at a show and was estimated to be an early '60's attachment.
I guess they really did use this color scheme.

Here's all the bits and pieces that make up the roller.

And the drum after the holes were welded up.

There were a few more holes but you get the idea.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I like the zerk mod idea, seems like that would have been a no brainer at the time.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Surprise! I remembered to get a coupe of shots of the frame after I cleaned it up.

And fresh paint.

I cleaned all the old grunge off the drum and in doing so I found some more holes. :angry: The upside, I always look for an upside, is they didn't pop out after I had painted everything and was trying to use it. :2th:
This is where I'm at right now,
The frame, seat and seat spring are done and assembled. Picture later, I need to take the drum to my brother in laws to weld the missed holes up then prime and paint.
The bearings were put into my rock tumbler with glass bead and cleaned up, the trunion blocks are painted and drilled for a zerk. Still need to go buy them.
I also need to go buy a gas tank seal kit and treat the inside of the roller so this rust issue won't happen again.
Progress as it happens.
Later.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Im weddy to mow on my suwky, huh,huh,huh,

:p
Couldn't resist.
The estate sulky that is. :cool

I like the zerk mod idea, seems like that would have been a no brainer at the time.
That's what I thought too. It would seem to be a real pain in the....well you know to follow Gravelys instructions for lube. I'd bet there are tons of rollers out there with rusty bearings.
With the zerks, just give it a shot of grease now and then and run it. It should spread the grease that way.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I think it would, I have zerks on my front end loader on the Deere and those are all solid bushings and the grease gets distributed just fine. Needle bearings should drag it all around, no different than a universal joint.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took a picture today of the assembled frame. Very busy day tomorrow so no Gravely time. :(
Well other than picking up an attachment I've been wanting for a couple of years now.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Coming along nicely. You have one of those accessory racks with the discs and tines on it? I know there is a correct name for them, I'm just half asleep ;)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not sure what you mean so I'm going to guess an aerator? Nope, don't have one of those.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
That's a cultivator tool. Don't have one of those either. My garden is not big enough.
My current inventory.
1963 L8
1973 C8
1983 5200 (see a pattern here?)
QH 30" brush deck
chain guard for 30" mower deck
106 brush deck
48" plow blade
26" MA-210 snow blower
Pull cart
Scoop attachment (picking up this afternoon)
Estate sulky
Standard sulky
I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I try not to buy something I won't use, unless it has that wow/cool factor like the estate sulky.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I have a bucket of odd stuff that a fella gave me when I bought a lot off of him and there where some pieces to the cultivator but he didn't have the rack.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bummer. If you'd like I can keep an eye out for one for you in my neck of the woods. They pop up now and then and aren't usually too expensive. It should fit in a flat rate box I could just get it and mail it to you.
Just to give you an idea, I wouldn't pay over $25 for the piece Plus the flat rate shipping.
Another option is to check with some of the guys at MTF to see if they have one kicking around for cheap.

Reactions: Five Points
1 - 20 of 26 Posts