My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Agway lawn tractor with 15HP engine. It will not turn over. The battery is charged, I have 12 volts to the battery side of the solenoid, 4.8 volts to the white wire of the solenoid, but when I turn the key, the relay just clicks or does nothing at all. This is a new solenoid and the old one acted the same.

Any ideas?

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
It may be related to safety device.

Is there a connection underneath the seat?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes...I've tested it with an ohm meter. It appears to be working (normally closed, open when depressed). I've jumped 12V from battery to starter and it turns over. I'm wondering if it is possible to have a faulty ignition switch.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The ignition switch could very well be the problem. Particularly if the rider has spent any time stored outside or if it's fairly old. Those switches aren't very expensive. Have you tried testing it with a meter?

Reactions: dfrivers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't but I will. I'm wondering if the white wire on the solenoid should be 12V, not 4.8V. Might be why the solenoid is chattering. If the ignition switch is bad, it might send a lower voltage to the solenoid?

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
I haven't but I will. I'm wondering if the white wire on the solenoid should be 12V, not 4.8V. Might be why the solenoid is chattering. If the ignition switch is bad, it might send a lower voltage to the solenoid?
I was thinking the same thing. Poor connection in the switch could cause the voltage drop. Also would want to make sure you have a full 12V going into the switch.

·
Registered
480 Posts
That's entirely possible, unfortunately electrical isn't really my forte so I'm not completely sure what voltage should be where. I've just been around these things long enough to know the ignition switch can be part of the problem.
Hopefully one of the electrical guru's will check in soon and help with that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts