My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, my 1967 Suburban started acting up last week. Engine quit and wouldn't restart for 10 minutes, no spark. I also noticed oil seepage around head gasket. Ordered new head gasket and asked guys on MTF Sears area for help. All signs were pointing to condenser if points or major issues if CDI system Praise God it has points! :ThumbUp: Went to local shop and got points and condenser. Also on tip from Suburban guys ,upgraded to automotive coil instead of magneto. Dad also had clutch spring break other day, so he had to finish install of that. Very busy day. We had to get a kill switch for coil and I decided to ditch the horn for hole in dash and room for coil to mount with coil bracket I need to order.
Here are pictures of operation and results/video!! Patent lives to tell tale!

Teardown!

Part of teardown, points cover.

Magneto was removed and original wires from points and condenser replaced.

Not terrible carbon and can see no ridge on cylinder!!

Original condenser!!

Cleaned off head and block, not a lot of carbon like I thought!

All done!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Nice walk through! It's always a nice feeling getting stuff like that fixed.

Any pics of the auto style coil and new dash switch?

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In last picture you can see switch in on position! Also in video Austen! We got done late and wanted to go in. The coil is for now zip tied to grill. Actual grill insert is removed for now. The switch is installed in hole where the push button for horn was installed. No more drilled holes!! My main concern is to not damage machine with holes or mods that can not be undone!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Good stuff. I always like the sound of the exhaust burble from these old engines.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bruce, tell me about it! Dad is sooooo lazy! ;)
Thank Mike! Sure was happy to hear it! Would not start yesterday or this morning! You can see how cold it was while we worked! It was frosted over! Hands got wet!
Austen, sure was happy to hear that burble! That coil has so much more fire! We tested spark this morning, very weak. After it was super bright!
It actually needed tuning as the spark changed burn rate or our new points dwell is off? Timing might be off a hair, but starts on 1/4 crank!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Dad is sooooo lazy!
I'll be sure to remember to tell him you said that should there become a day that he joins here. :sidelaugh:bag:
:sorry:
Austen, sure was happy to hear that burble! That coil has so much more fire! We tested spark this morning, very weak. After it was super bright!
It actually needed tuning as the spark changed burn rate or our new points dwell is off? Timing might be off a hair, but starts on 1/4 crank!
A healthy spark can make a world of difference.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
HEY! Watch it Austen, might be looking to move in with you when he kicks me out! ;)
Guess that spark does help! Was going to work this morning, 2"+ of snow with ice falling now. Going to stay home to clean up, then maybe try to go to work. I would normally go for it and go to work. After all that has happened to me lately, think I'll wait it out. Seat time at least! Think the Suburban is ready!

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Thanks for that invite into the operating room. Glad to see, and hear, that the surgery was a success.

Um, one question, what's the blue tennis ball thing over the gas tank?

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got some seat time today with snow/ice. She did well, puffs some smoke once you throttle down now. Also coil got really hot. A guy on MTF said it was wrong coil due to being for car. He says to get small engine one. Guess winding are heavier?

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bruce ,that is dad park assist! Pain in butt is always in my way!! It was a dog toy!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Coil real Hot ?..sounds like missing or incorrect series Ballast resistor... 12V coils do Not actually run at 12v...
except for start up, where the ballast resistor is shunted...as I recall...Perhaps you have one, but it remains shunted..
Easy check with your voltmeter...you should have a few volts dropped across the resistor when engine is running....
If all is normal...maybe relocate it to under the seat...Nice seat warmer...! But watch out for the high tension lead..!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
suspicion my friend! According to what I found out. This coil has way too high ohms. It is meant for V8. It turns out I need one with 3.2-3.5 ohms. I found a '70's VW coil has 3.4 ohms and local NAPA has one. Going to go take off the other one and run to town. Glad it was storming as I stayed home. Hopefully ice clears ups some so I can get coil and a bracket!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Same thing we thought. I got a new one in that ohm range. Installed it and plowed. Staying much cooler!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Good going ...The difference in the Ohms readings may be the internal or external ballast resistor...Sorta recall old coils being marked "for use with external ballast" or some such notice.....Never saw a ONE cylinder eng VW, so assume you're again running a multi cylinder coil.....Anyhow...glad it all worked out..

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
LOL Suspicion, it is a four cylinder coil!! :) Forgot to mention that! I found a pull tractor web site with great info and another web site with coil for sale. I looked up the specs and matched with NAPA. Cheaper and in my hands today! This one said internal ballast also! Bet you were right! Main thing is she is a runner. Think carb is off still, once in while it makes a little puff out pipe with slight smoke. For her age, she can pass gas some! LOL :help: :bag: :dunno: :sarcasm:
Sorry for picture quality, phone!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts