My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current mower, which is a 7 year old poulan pro decided to die on me, so its time for a new one.

Ive narrowed it down to 3,, but cant decide ,so i'm hoping i can get some feedback.
Basically i want a push mower with bag , mulch and side discharge, that's low maintenance.
Yard is pretty small, normally take me 45-60 min.
We live in South Carolina, so id be using it nearly 10 months of the year.

Here is my final list :
Cub Cadet SC100 ($249)
Troy-Bilt TB130 ($255)
Troy-Bilt TB110 ($199)

The Troy's , i like the idea of just being able to go back to the store IF there's a problem with it.

Also considering Husky... been told a few good things about them too.
Also been reading some good things about the Cadet, actually all 3 lol

Thanks in advance :)

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
I read the descriptions of those three mowers, and to be honest, the TB110 seems like the best choice of the three for the money, considering that they all have essentially the same features.

One question I have about each is how exactly are the front wheels attached to the deck. It looks to me like there is a structure made of some kind of composite material that is bolted onto the front of the steel deck. In my mind that would be an area for potential breaking, and might actually flex quite a bit while pushing the mower across your yard.

You mentioned that you are also considering a Husky, which I'm going to guess you mean Husqvarna. Their model 5521P sounds like a good candidate for you. It meets all of your criteria, and the wheels and adjusters are bolted onto the metal of the mower deck.

Plus, they are sold by dealers, and I have always encouraged people to buy from a dealership for the support they can give in the event of problems and the service they can provide over the whole term of your ownership of the mower. Big box stores tend to refer the customer to a dealership or shop for service issues, and not being the original selling dealer, your issue may not take priority had you bought the machine from them originally.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input,, there's actually a husky dealer just down the road from me, think ill stop in there today.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
cub cadet has a junky chinese clone engine(there are great clones but this isnt one of them), and they are all essentially the same mtd mower with different engines. actually my aunt and uncle have one of the tb110s for their beach house in clinton, and i have to admit the engine runs extremely well for a cheapy mower, but the deck is garbage. they live right on the shore, and after only 2 years the axles are wearing out and the deck is beginning to develope some pretty major rust. theres no way to tighten the wheel and keep them from wobbling after looking at it for an hour. what about this husqvarna, built by ayp.
only about 30 more then the cub cadet without all the flaws

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When i was down the husquvarna dealership earlier today i was looking at the 7021p, as well as the 5521p..both look quite good,, looks like they have nice solid decks.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
When i was down the husquvarna dealership earlier today i was looking at the 7021p, as well as the 5521p..both look quite good,, looks like they have nice solid decks.
I have a mower that I bought new in 1999 that is powered by a Honda GCV160 engine. I hate to admit it, but it is probably the least cared for mower I have, and gets the most abuse because of where I use it, and that engine keeps on going. So I feel confident in telling you that you would be happy with the 7021p for that reason.

Briggs and Stratton builds quality engines as well, and their little 3-1/2HP engines have been powering mowers for years, so the 5521p would most likely do just fine too unless you're mowing a jungle.

The additional features they show on their web site, such as the ball bearing wheels would be good, and you might also find the adjustable handles to your liking too.

The next question is, what were your impressions of the dealer?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The dealer,, seemed ok,wasnt trying to push anything ( which i liked), just answered the questions i asked,, i asked about what kind of warranty it came with ,,and he wasnt too sure...( im pretty sure its a standard 3 year manufactures warranty).

The first mower i had was a poulan pro then when that engine conked out i swapped it for a engine from a bolens, both were 5.5 hp engines.
So maybe i should just stay on track and look into the 7021p.
I've also heard that the honda engines are "more expensive" to work on?
Also the prices of both were the same if not cheaper that some places i found on line (5521p - $239 & 7021p - $289)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol.. just repeating what i read..
More than likely going to go with the 7021p... if i remember correctly, the first mower i had ( only been in the states for nearly 10 years:) ) lasted about 6 years and that was a cheapy one.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
no, if anything hondas are cheaper to work on, most common parts the carburetor is 20 bucks brand new and most parts are under 15-20 bucks. also very easy to work on.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
I'm with 43128. Not only are Honda parts relatively inexpensive, Hondas are some of the easiest engines to work on. For an example, unlike Briggs, which has been known to mix SAE and metric fasteners on engines, Honda uses all metric. It makes life a lot easier! :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Will be picking up my 7021p over the weekend.
And in another note.. picking up a toro recycler GTS for $60 tomorrow ,only thing wrong with it is that the self propel isnt working.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Will be picking up my 7021p over the weekend.
And in another note.. picking up a toro recycler GTS for $60 tomorrow ,only thing wrong with it is that the self propel isnt working.
We'll be anxious to read your review of your new 7021p.

Picking up a Toro too! I sense we'll be seeing another face at the next A.T.T.A.B.O.Y. meeting.:2th:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got a Husqvarna 7021P that was bought from a local power equipment dealer in 2013. It's been just great!

The ONLY problem it's ever had was caused by the operator (my son) when he tipped it to the carburetor side to clear stuck wet clippings from under the housing. That put a lot of oil in the air cleaner and ruined the air filter on the Honda motor.

The motor would then run fine with the air filter off, but would NOT stay running with the filter in. The filter seemed to be made of polymer rather than cloth or paper, so we tried cleaning it in dish detergent and blowing it dry, then sun baked dry. No dice. A new filter for under $10 and it runs as new again.

I love the "no tools" attachment of the side discharge chute or bag, very well designed. The motor does far more work than it should for the displacement and power rating.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts