My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like my 2014 Honda HRX217HYA, proper model number HRX2174HYA. It is currently my primary 21" for light duty commercial mowing. However, since I got it last August 2014, I have wondered why the lower speeds on the transmission barely work. Its not a problem with the gearing itself, but maybe the belt, or possibly the cable needs to be adjusted on the shifting baffle and lever to get it to respond at lower speeds? Any ideas? I think its the cable needing to be adjusted.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
on the honda mowers you have a threaded portion of the cable and two nuts to the left hand side of the handlebar. loosen the lower nut to release the cable, to tighten the cable tension, loosen the top cable nut and retighten the lower nut. this is how i fixed the slow drive speed on my father hrx217. another thing to watch out for on these that i had an issue with on my fathers mowers is the nubs in the throttle and transmission control lever that hold the levers in place will wear out and shred themselves, which could become an issue in the future

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
on the honda mowers you have a threaded portion of the cable and two nuts to the left hand side of the handlebar. loosen the lower nut to release the cable, to tighten the cable tension, loosen the top cable nut and retighten the lower nut. this is how i fixed the slow drive speed on my father hrx217. another thing to watch out for on these that i had an issue with on my fathers mowers is the nubs in the throttle and transmission control lever that hold the levers in place will wear out and shred themselves, which could become an issue in the future
Ok that is good to know, I will definitely do that to adjust it! Is the wearing out of the nubs part of the issue or is that brought on by shifting hastily/being hard on the lever?

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Good news to hear. Did you find it to be a hard job to do and did you have to fiddle with it one way then the other to get it set up right? Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
sorry didnt see your response until now, i think its an abuse issue because ive never seen another honda with a throttle worn out like that. could also have had an assembly issue because when i pulled it apart there was no grease

1 - 6 of 6 Posts