My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WOW! I last saw this thing three years ago, it vanished the day I was gonna buy it. Well.. she returns, and not far from where I last saw her! It's a 1957 Mid;and 'Bull-Pup' with a Briggs model 19 engine. It goes as low as 0.5MPH, and as high as 17, and maybe faster if I could get it running better. This things awesome! Guy was asking 150, but the shifter was jammed and without my asking, he offered 75. SOLD! Never heard of another, cant find any info on them. It has some of the strangest designs in it.. like an 'E' shift pattern..! It has the fatal issue of a faulty coil, which is common on early 19's. I'm going to put a car coil and battery on it.. easier then messing with the trouble-prone 19-series coils. This thing is LONG! The hood tip is just over 7' from the seat. The throttle control is Model T style, a cast iron lever with bellcranks. Video to come soon. Its a real shame the previous-previous owner buggererd up the paint.. because it was apparently fine. It was once metallic green and cream white.. Time for a project!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
That is a cool tractor for sure!!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
That's a really interesting tractor!! Glad it resurfaced and you were able to get it! :cool Thanks for posting the videos too! Good stuff!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
It's funny how she found her way back to you, like it was meant to be! ;)

Look forward to the project!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Dunno what they painted it with.. I tried gasoline, stripper, and thinner.. the red isn't coming off. Darn. I guess a restore is in order.. after I finish my Wheel-Horse anyway. However, here it is in it's former glory. This is a 1959, so the decals are different.. but it's a good reference. Nice paint they did back then.. Granted, mine was the economy model, so just rope start of course.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, it looks home-made even by my neighbors standards.. heh. Sat all week in the shed and I started it on the second hand-flip of the pulley.. man what an engine! Rigged on a plow and did the neighbors garden, worked flawlessly. Reverse is going out but that could be anything.. it's definitely built with parts of a walk behind tractor though, the more I look at it. It hot 101*f that afternoon, and the coil started to die again.. I never knew a Planet-JR. walk behind could tow a garden tractor, I'll tell you.. probably just going to do an automotive coil swap, I don't trust myself with the coil conversions that are common with these 19-series engines.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Serving as tow rig.

If say you've found another use for it. :ThumbUp:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts