My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,here is one of our nicest to me restorations. A Murray tractor traded in on a John Deere STX 38 dad did. The engine was seized and the deck wasn't on it. It was stored acorrding to PO in a garage for over ten years after filling crankcase with gas and that stuff was left in it that long!? :( We first tried to get engine to turn over. The old Wd-40 in spark plug hole and wrench revieled a turning engine! Then worked on carb and got it running! Sounded real healthy! Took it to our proving grounds, my sisters yard, ran great,mowed great! The only issue, a big oil leak from main seal off crank. So,off the engine came to change it! After that, paint work time! I took a week off work on vacation / tractor job! We got it painted and it turned out great! This machine got dad quite a bit of money from a guy who had us deliver it a ways away,he paid $100 for us to do it ,he liked it so much! Best non green machine we did!! Thank God for all his help! We needed it! Hope you enjoy the long post!
God bless!
Eric

MOV03723.mp4 Video by ericjr16 | Photobucket

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
You and your dad do good work! That's a very nice job and I'm sure the new owner will be very happy with it. :2th:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I thought since I have time due to Nor'easter! Gonna go to gym and such tomorrow! Having a relaxing night home!!
Dad did his usual work thank God! I helped ! ;)

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
You guys did a bang up job on it!

It looks brand new again. I can tell that you both did a very clean install of the new motor! Nice work.

Thanks for the write-up and photos!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Austen, that engine is the original! Dad replaced the main oil seal and detailed it while it was out! We detail our cars as a hobby and do the same with machines! Some armor-all and a rotary buffer do magic on most of them! Then paint helps the real bad ones!

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Now that's pretty Eric. Love the shine you put on it and that red engine contrasting with the black is beautiful.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks bwd, that engine cover is original to the engine, it wasn't on when we got it. They must have tried to repair it themselves. I really wanted to keep the Murray. I ALWAYS want to keep the finished machines!! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
That turned out fantastic, Eric.

Are you chaps using rattle can paint or do you have guns & compressor? Looks outstanding regardless of what you used!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Mark, dad paints both ways. The Tractors have been rattle cans! I am always impressed with his work! God gave him quite a few capabilities for learning the hard way! No one ever taught him this stuff. He used to paint his cars back in the day.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL you know that is right for me!! We put so much into them!!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Harry, we aren't too fussy with brands. Whatever I can find cheap/ free for dad on internet or what is traded in! We have done quite a few diferent brands. The MTD's are the ones dad don't really like due to the two belt CVT type drive. He hates replacing the rear belt! :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hey Eric. the snapper I bought a while back had a seat on it that I could tell was not original. The seat on my Cub was coming apart so I put the seat on it. I wondered what it came off of. Great job on the Murray. If I ever come to Pennsylvania again I want to stop and see how you go through them as fast as you do.
Cannon

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Cannon! Your welcome to stop in! Dad will work like a tornado around ya! Probably hand you some tools!! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts