My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my vacation started off with me working on the Snapper then I filleted my thumb open at which time I decided to something else productive that wouldn't require the whole dexterity thing...

So I did some clearing work with the "Beast" with thumb bandaged in tow. :)
Palmettos are an invasive palm that are extremely difficult to get rid of. They have a root system like spaghetti that anchors them into the ground and makes them very difficult to remove. Once removed you have to let them sit for a few months to dry out so you can burn them. I still have @ 5 acres of them to remove :(

This is about a half an acre which I was able to reveal the surviving tree that was split in half from hurricane Francis several years ago

This is the next area in the wooded portion behind the garage that I'm working on. I'll post some more pics as I move along and time permits the work. :ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
7,358 Posts
Nice work! You've had an eventful and productive vacation.

Operating the tractor gives your thumb a break for sure! Hope that its healing has given you relief.

Palmettos are an invasive palm that are extremely difficult to get rid of.They have a root system like spaghetti that anchors them into the ground and makes them very difficult to remove.
It sounds like your Palmettos are our Himalayan blackberries. They can take over just as you described growing unbelievable lengths a day and once they do, are very hard to get rid of and you have to be on top of them once begin to pop up. I wouldn't mind seeing more palms around here though! Want to trade invasive species? ;)

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thumb is healing nicely, the nail came off today but the funny thing is that none of ever hurt.. Thanks for asking. :)

I'll keep the invasive palmettos, the last thing I need is a new weed! I do have wild blackberries that will get out of control if you let them. They are good eating though.

·
Administrator
6,291 Posts
Those palms look like a great place to find a gator hiding! :eek:

Looks a lot better. :2th:

Multiflora rose used to be a problem here but you don't see it too much now. Originally it was planted for a natural livestock fence. My great grandparents planted it between the road and the pasture. I was told it once was as high as the electric wires along the road before they cut it back to around 3-4ft. Nasty stuff to deal with given the big thorns on it and grows to the size of a tree if let go sending out new runners off the roots. The neighbors old John Deere 2-cyclinder dug ruts in the pasture a foot deep pulling out the stumps back in the 70's when my grandparents had finally had enough of it. I lost count how many times I had a flat tire on the rider from running over a thorn or getting scratched and clothes snagged trying to mow close to it. We had some wild blackberries and wild elderberry too but I let them go. I picked them and my grandmother made jam and pies from the berries. :cool

Poison ivy (vine) and sumac (bush/tree, some also poisonous) I would call the biggest pain here to deal with now in un-mowed areas. Even the non-poisonous sumac has a nauseating odor when you cut it. Have to be extremely careful if your allergic to it. My mother and uncle can get a rash from poison ivy just being downwind from it. If it gets into your eyes, throat or lungs you can end up in the hospital pretty quick.

·
Premium Member
7,358 Posts
I do have wild blackberries that will get out of control if you let them. They are good eating though.
I picked them and my grandmother made jam and pies from the berries.
That's about the only good thing about them. The best ones always seem to be the furthest away of course hidden in the thorns.

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ouch Doc, that looks like a smashed one there!
The best ones always seem to be the furthest away of course hidden in the thorns.
Ain't that the truth! We call them "Wait a minute" vines. Once you get tangled up in them, you need to stop and wait a minute to get out of them! :sidelaugh

·
Premium Member
7,358 Posts
To get back on topic, nice work on the clearing. You've got a nice machine there to do the job with.

Aside from using a loader, clearing is one of my favorite uses of a tractor. I have fond memories of performing fire clearing every year around the property of my relatives ranch in SoCal using their Case 480 that had a Gannon in place of the backhoe on the back. After I would come home from school and finished homework, I'd hop on it and spend the latter part of the day through evening clearing. Fortunately for me, it was a slow process (more seat time!) as there were places that had to be to gone over several times to fully get the roots up.

Clearing, typically, can be a nice way to spend time on your tractor. :)

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update, got a little more done behind the garage,
Before

After

A look down the newly cleared trail

The pile of debris that will have to sit for a while to dry out being that palms tend to retain water for long periods of time.

This is a typical root system of a palmetto

Thats it for now! :)

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
A little more?? Wow!

Looks great, Bruce.

Similar problem down here except they call them Saga Palms. They just wont die unless they're uprooted. Stuffs like bamboo - hard to get rid of. Our back acre was covered with it, including a 60' X 40' horse pond. The Cottonmouths' loved to lay among the broad leafs in the sun. The had to go, and took about six months to get a little over 3/4's of it to removed permanently. The pile dried all summer and fall and we burned it in the Winter.

Good work.

·
Administrator
6,291 Posts
Tractor or not I'm betting someone is going to be a sore and stoved up after all of that work for a few days. Gonna have to go back to work to rest up. :D

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tractor or not I'm betting someone is going to be a sore and stoved up after all of that work for a few days. Gonna have to go back to work to rest up. :D
It's funny, I work out and stay active but about five days in a row for the better part of each day wore me out leaving me with sore shoulders and back. Yes, I'm glad to be back at work, I needed a break! :2th:

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Like me, I work harder and longer off work than I do at work.

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, had a couple days off so I climbed back up on the Deere and got some more work done. :ThumbUp: Yes B1, my thumb is better now although my nail is hasn't grown back in yet. :)

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

My motivation now is to remove a bobcat den that lies within the bushes. Two chickens later, I'm tired of explaining to my 9 year old that these things happen....

·
1,329 Posts
No doubt, you have been working hard, I have never noticed, what size tractor are you using? I have a 2210 w/FEL, I feel like you must have a bigger piece of equipment.
Im anxious to learn from the pole barn build.
The pics are great , Thanks:pics:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.