My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently did a clean out of an estate that had a lot of older stuff in nice shape. It had a number of out buildings on the property and these were in one. Made me think of Austen, as he has an affinity for the old reelers. Not quite his genre, but I thought I'd share a few pics. I've done no research to this point, and if anyone knows the shortcuts, please share.

Toro, Craftsman and Coldwell trimmer.

The Craftsman, 60's maybe? Really clean.

The Coldwell Trimmer....no clue.

My personal fave, the Toro.

They are both freed up, with dry tanks and spark. I have no doubt they'll run. Interesting point, both spark plugs have the original engine paint on them. The overall condition of these is pretty impressive. Anyhoo, this one's for you, Mr. Austen :2th:

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Hey Ellis,

Nice find!! :ThumbUp: Wow! They appear to all be very nicely preserved, well taken care of and not heavily used. :cool

I like the white Craftsman a lot. Does it have the flip down lever to engage the drive?

The white one was nearly identical to the first reel mower I ever used. My Grandpa had one just like it with a catcher and he would let me operate it when I was very little and help mow the lawn. I remember my Mom and Grandma watching from the deck above overlooking the yard and them telling my Grandpa "It's too dangerous, he could get hurt!" but Grandpa knew I loved every bit of and said "He's fine!"

Thanks for sharing the photos- brings back some special memories. :)

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So that's how the seed was planted, Austen :idea: Great story.

Here's pics of the two controls.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
That's pretty cool.

It looks like the one that I used was a slightly different style in that it had sort of a "U" shaped lever that you would flip down to engage the drive. If I could find a picture online I would post it.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a pretty piece, Bruce. Pretty amazing that the label is that intact/clear. Works smooth too :2th:

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I noticed that. It will look really nice hanging on a wall in a garage, or a mancave :)

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Great find

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Sounds like you did really well. Will there be an addition to your mancave or are you going to be making a mass listing on the ole' Ebay?

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like you did really well. Will there be an addition to your mancave or are you going to be making a mass listing on the ole' Ebay?
I'm keeping probably 15 or 20 items for my collection, and have already listed quite a few pieces. I also worked out a trade with some items to acquire this type sign....definitely a hanger :cool

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This isn't mine, Bruce. It's the same type........complete with double 0, actually a bit worse. Let's call it patina :ROFL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts