My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Friend of mine came across what he thinks is a pretty good deal. I'm letting you be the judge as I have no experience with the brand or reputation. Here's the link that gives info on the tractor.

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/321852485023

Let me know if $1600 is a good price for this model to his door?

The back story is, it's NEW old stock from a company that was planning on sending this model to Europe. It's about 4-5 years old still sitting in the crate. You won't find it currently on Simplicity's website because of these two things. You can download manual but that's about it.

Any thoughts, feedback, or input would be greatly appreciate as always!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I'd be a little leery of only 12 feedbacks in over a year and warranty work if you have it delivered and you are not local. 1900 was the price unless you are planning on a 1600 offer and they accept. The only things they appeared to have sold are chainsaws and trimmers in the past.

I'd probably skip it, just my opinion though ;)

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Five Points! I agree with you. You never know sometimes. They are legit and have a website other than them selling on eBay. They are a dealer for Simplicity, Husqvarna, and Ariens among others....

Here is their actual site.

A1 Repairs Sells Services Small Engine Power Equipment

According to the Service Center link they've been in business since 1958. So almost 60 years makes me feel pretty comfortable. I didn't elaborate earlier but he's called the sales person up and he already said the lowest he can take is $1600 and that includes delivery and lift gate service. So that part we have is confirmed. That's down from the $1999 asking OBO on eBay.

I appreciate you looking out for me Five Points! I really do! With your feedback concerns aside. Based on the info before and now, How do you feel about the deal? That's what I'm really after.

I might also ad that since they were bound for Europe their in a really small crate that is stripping the lawn mower of the deck as well. So between that and of course the steering wheel and seat having to be installed when received, The deck at least is coming in a separate box. No a big killer but just wanted to add that extra part in.

I actually talked to him as well today and asked all I could about this tractor specifically and the brand as well!

I'm looking for some knowledge about Simplicity as a brand too!

Thanks for the reply!

P.S. Figured someone on here may have used them in the past since their in the Great Lakes region... I don't think Elgin is that far from Chicago.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
X2 and the Courage would frighten me somewhat.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
X2 and the Courage would frighten me somewhat.
X2? I know what you mean about the Courage. :bag: I guess if it's trouble free for the first season it might be ok. 3yr warranty on the tractor isn't too bad. Not sure what their reputation for warranty approvals is but maybe he could get a replacement if he took care of it according to book and followed it to a T.

Do receipts help for proof of purchase when maintaining an engine and it fails?Just wondering if that's even important to an engine company? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
I meant I agree with Five points! ;)

Reactions: bwhitsonjr

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Duh! I should've know better! :bag:

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Being that it is already 3-5 years old a repair towards the end of the 3 year warranty would make the tractor the better of 8 model years old. That is a concern. Manufactures have age cutoffs they will pay a service center to repair a product under store stock warranty and it gets a little more murky when it comes to customer issues.

If it was me I would at a minimum contact Simplicity directly with model and serial number if possible and ask if they will still honor the 3 year warranty when the tractor is in reality going to be 8 model years old and a European model to boot. Even if they say they will you still might have a problem getting another servicer to take it on for fear they will not get paid from the manufacture.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
You mentioned that your friend is looking at these. Where does your friend live? Is it near the Elgin location, or nearer you? If your friend is set on a Simplicity, for what ever reason, then a trip to a dealership nearest his location is the best way to go. Ebay is good for those items you can't find close to home.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bruce he's closest to me in Texas.... Our nearest Simplicity dealer is about 1 hr 1/2 away. It doesn't make too much since to own one to me since their not that close. This dealer in Illinois, says they can take care of some things, warranty wise, over the phone... For the rest of it though.... There would deff be a trip involved if it was major!

I will pass all of your concerns on. Most people look at the front end. The cheapest brand new model of any Simplicity I could find is $2399. So an $800 savings is a lot to consider. But on the back end when it comes to warranty work or anything well see.....

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Being that it is already 3-5 years old a repair towards the end of the 3 year warranty would make the tractor the better of 8 model years old. That is a concern. Manufactures have age cutoffs they will pay a service center to repair a product under store stock warranty and it gets a little more murky when it comes to customer issues.

If it was me I would at a minimum contact Simplicity directly with model and serial number if possible and ask if they will still honor the 3 year warranty when the tractor is in reality going to be 8 model years old and a European model to boot. Even if they say they will you still might have a problem getting another servicer to take it on for fear they will not get paid from the manufacture.
Good points Mark! I appreciate those views. I plan on getting him to read this thread.... Much easier than trying to convince him! :2th:

Reactions: Five Points

·
Registered
686 Posts
It seems from reading through the thread there are too many what ifs involved. Unless your friend is lucky and it's trouble free so he doesn't need a dealer and or really handy and self sufficient it's not a deal and it could turn into a real nightmare.

If something major goes wrong and he has to wait for a dealer and or the manufacturer to sort out what or if they're willing to do something on a major repair he would be without the use of it.

The fact that he's asking you what kind of deal it is would make me nervous you end up in the middle of something if this deal turns into a nightmare. :2cents:

Reactions: Five Points

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kiss that's crossed my mind more than a couple of times.... I'm all for helping a friend of a neighbor out... But unless you know the person well or you make the mention 'Don't hold me responsible for giving my opinion" or something to that affect. Sometimes you have to CYA! If you know what I mean!

One other thing I haven't heard from anyone is all this aside... What kind of lawnmower is Simplicity? Is there patented free floating deck design and cut really all that? Is this a brand that's reputation proceeds it like a JD or Husqvarna? Do you or yourself know someone that owns a Simplicity? What's there take?

Since we've gone down this path on the brand he's asking himself if he should purchase a new one and if so what can he expect...

Thanks guys!

P.S. Hope the weather is as great around your area as it is around mine here in Texas. But with the mild winter we had.... One things for sure!!!! IT'S GONNA BE A HOT ONE! :angry:

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guys... Don't think my friend has gone batty or anything but he's just got an amazing deal on the Simplicity Regent 38" w/18HP Kohler Courage. Such a good deal that he's asked me to ask you on advice on what engine would be able to be dropped into it perfectly... Should he plan on replacing it soon like after this season or sooner. Naturally he's thinking a good Briggs, A Better Kohler like Command, or maybe a Kawasaki. Is this even possible? What problems might he run into? :help:

Eric and his dad seem to be some experts in this arena!!! :ThumbUp:

Got the idea from another forum where a guy was talking about this in his subject matter.... " If everything else on the current unit is in good shape, even a new engine wouldn't be a bad deal. NOT from the dealer but from places online. I bought a new old stock Vanguard 21 HP engine to replace the 18 HP in one of tractors, for $600 shipped. Yep, just $600. I guess manufacturers run a number of engines for replacements and after a finite amount of time (like 5 years) after a production run ends, they get rid of them as surplus (so I've heard)."

Is there truth to this? Maybe he can find a good old stock motor like the vanguard or Professional grade Briggs V-Twin? :dunno:

This is far out of my scope as I've never undertaken a replacement engine before. Any help, links, chatter, or snip-its would be greatly appreciated! :2th:

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He does indeed have a computer and free time mostly on the weekends.... He has some tools. What he doesn't have he borrows from me... :bag:

What kind of ideas have you got brewing in that head of yours Bruce? :idea:

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I should've guessed.... :ROFL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts