My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are two mowers that are both a little different. One is a 1950s 18 inch Mott flail mower and the other is a 1958 Henderson 20 inch Contour mower. The Henderson uses a drum with knife blades the spin at engine speed. The Mott uses small flails just like the big tractor mowers. The Mott is great for mowing tall grass in the woods behind my house as you can't easily damage the flails. Both the mowers have newer motors on them. Roger

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,224 Posts
That is the first flail mower I've seen that did not mount to the back of a tractor. :cool:

Is the contour mower a reel type? By that I mean do the knives/blades ride along a cutter bar?

I'd like to see a picture of the underneath on both of them. :)

·
Founding Administrator
1,256 Posts
That is the first flail mower I've seen that did not mount to the back of a tractor. :cool:

Is the contour mower a reel type? By that I mean do the knives/blades ride along a cutter bar?

I'd like to see a picture of the underneath on both of them. :)
Agree on seeing the undersides. I always liked the look of a lawn cut with a reel mower like yours.

·
Premium Member
6,106 Posts
Very unique mowers. I've never seen anything like them. I'd be interested in seen the cutting set ups too.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Those are two very neat mowers! I especially like the Henderson, what a cool mower. What is it like to use?

I like the modern motor on the Mott. That is totally something that I would do if the original engine was shot. Way to keep it alive and have the reliability of the modern engine.

Thanks for sharing these with us!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
This is what the bottom of the Henderson looks like. Just a bunch of knives on a rotating shaft with no cutter bar. Sorry about the poor picture. It's the only one I have on my computer right now. The Mott uses fails like the tractor mounted ones only much smaller. Basically "L" shaped with a pivot point on the top of the "L" and bottom of the "L" sharpened. If you hit something with them they fold out of the way. Don't have a picture of them right now and the mower is a bit buried. I will see if I can get a Mott picture this weekend and try to get a better picture of the Henderson. The Mott also has no cutter bar. If you click on the picture you can see the knives better. Roger

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brad i forgot to answer your question. I am not sure they are really reel mowers as they have neither a reel nor a cutter bar. Roger

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dug both mowers out and got some and maybe better pictures. The first is the blades on the Henderson. The second is the name on the Hederson. The third is the flails on the Mott. The last is is the two side by side from the front side. Roger

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,224 Posts
Thanks for taking the additional photos!

I sure could have used that flail mower doing the ditches between the road and pasture back on the farm. Wonder how that would work around a pond?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have some of a woods in the back of our 1 acre lot that we have been cleaning up over the the years. The first time we starting cleaning out the 1 foot plus weeds I just fired up the Mott and slowly pushed my way through it. It went from tall weeds to 3 inches in a matter of moments so you could see what was back there. Even with the cost of new motor it is one of the best investments and one of the most useful tools I own. I don't think the Henderson would work for first cut work but it is a good finish mower. I double with OSHA around either of them could be sold today. Roger

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi - new guy to the forum. I just bought a Mott B-9 flail mower (it's still on my trailer). It has a 6 horse Wisconsin engine, and according to the tag and stencil markings it was made in February 1965 and was sold to the U.S. Navy. It's 36" wide and has a two speed gearbox attached to the engine. Definitely a self-propelled walk behind and has the fine cutting Mott grass flails on it. Darn Coyote

1 - 13 of 13 Posts