My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out what wrong on 7hp B&S pushmower. When cord is pulled, sputters white smoke out air filter side. All i know is that mower was stored dry for winter after running Stabil through it. Blown seal? Junk carb? Help? Any input appreciated. Does not start. Tries to. Old mower.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sounds like a sheared flywheel key!
I would first flip the mower on its side, remove the blade and inspect the way in which the blade attaches to the crankshaft. If it is a craftsman, it will have two divets on the piece which holds the blade to the engine. If either divet is ovaled, or the blade is not centered, the flywheel key will shear resulting in the conditions you describe. To repair a flywheel key, you must remove the starter shroud, and usually the starter cup. With a brass hammer, hit the end of the crankshaft, and the flywheel will pop off of its taper. Depending on the engine model, it will have a rectangular Aluminum flywheel key. They are designed to shear if you hit a rock, tree root, or any other hard object. If the key is sheared, you must look for its culprit, a bad blade mount, timing skipped a tooth, improperly adjusted valve train, etc. If the culprit is not found, you will be replacing flywheel keys left and right!

Chris

1 - 2 of 2 Posts