My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am a high school agriculture teacher in Western NY. A student in my Small Engines class has just rebuilt a 6.5 HP Briggs and Stratton 124T02-0464-E1 vertical shaft mower engine. Prior to me bringing this in to school, it was given to me. I messed around all summer trying to get it to run right. No matter what I did to the carburetor, it would not draw fuel on its own. If primed, it would run as long as you kept spraying gas down the throat of the carb. I figured the original carburetor was damaged beyond repair. Fast forward a few months, the engine received a honing, new rings, valve lap, all new seals and gaskets and a new intake pipe. We put on a carburetor from a never been run engine that we had on our parts shelf. It is doing the exact same thing. We have tried a few different new carburetors. Spray gas down the carb, it runs until it runs out. It is getting good fresh fuel. We are at a complete loss. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help that you can offer.

Forrest

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Did you check the fuel lines upstream of the carb for restrictions or gunk buildup? Are all of the intake components secured tightly? (to prevent vacuum leak)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Did you check the fuel lines upstream of the carb for restrictions or gunk buildup? Are all of the intake components secured tightly? (to prevent vacuum leak)
I know this may sound dumb, but maybe it's stopped up before the carb. I have seen bugs clog the nipple on the tank of stuff that I had already confirmed clear. I presume it was in the gas can...

·
Registered
507 Posts
Sounds like all tech schools rebuild the same stuff. When I was a sophomore, we started off the year with the 12 cubic inch Briggs flatheads as well. Still have plenty of brand new never run engines on our shelves. I'll give it a crack and say a clogged fuel line or dirty gas tank.

·
Registered
730 Posts
If you're sure its still getting good, fresh fuel , after trying few "new" carbs....and will run continuously if constantly sprayed with fuel...then I still think it has misaligned camshaft timing from the rebuilds...causing very poor suction, but just enuf compression to run on primes..? Or a totally mismatched head gasket..restrictive..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same problem with mine

I have a B and S mower. Pulled carb to clean, now after priming it will start but dies after fuel in throat has been burned. Sometimes it will keep running but at reduced RPM, around 2000. I am thinking pull carb back off and clean again. Any other ideas? It has a non adjustable carb on it

·
Registered
390 Posts
:welcome: to MLF Jack. Could you post the engine numbers so we know what type of carb you have?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts