My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, long time lurker.....

thinking about adding another member of the herd, found a 420 that's "not running" and the guy says "maybe bad compression" He's not sure, just parked it and got something else I'm assuming. I think I can get it from somewhere between $300-400

am I correct in assuming I could easily get my money back even if the engine is a total loss just by parting it out. (60 inch deck appears to be in good shape)

Really want to restore it and give my 170 (38 inch deck) a break from my 3 acre yard. (not to mention cut my time almost in half)

**my current workhorse...tough little machine

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Nice machine you have there. You could check out some various parts on Ebay and see what they are going for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice machine you have there. You could check out some various parts on Ebay and see what they are going for.
thanks! yeah, looks like I'd have no problem recouping my cost. Think I'm going to keep it though, as long as I don't find any major issues and just take my time getting it back up and running. Hopefully it'll be my main mower next season and I can just give the 170 to my kids to start mowing on (8 and 11). Seems about time they learned.

hopefully pics incoming

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
A 420 for that price is a very nice deal. You're talking a very desirable JD there. And no offense to the seller, but "maybe bad compression" is a bit of a stab. Could be something pretty minor. Is it turning freely? And can you feel compression resistance? Just little things that are pretty telling. I hope you get it, there's a whole lot more upside than downside there :cool

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
X2!! Good bet you have a winner! Worth the risk!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts