My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new guy here. I currently have and use a John Deere 175 Hydro 1/38" deck to mow my 1/2 acre yard, with a standard 21" push mower to trim around the house and flower beds (and to mow the front yard). I am contemplating selling my 175 Hydro and replacing it with a wide angle walk behind mower in the 33" to 38" range, figuring I'll make better time with that than I do the tractor, and also only have to store 1 mower instead of 2 since I should be able to do the tight trimming with the walk behind.

I happened to come across a local ad for a 38" John Deere Commercial walk behind mower. Here is the ad:

For sale is my John Deere commercial Walk Behind 38" mower.

It has 1065 hours on it, and runs great. This is the real deal and is one of the first models of commercial walk behinds that John Deere made.

I bought this a while back to reduce the time I spend mowing my lawn every week, and it definitely does that! with my old 22" push mower it would take me 2 hours. With this 38" mower it takes less than 1 hour. I'm selling it because it takes up too much room in my garage and I need to look for a 30" mower that the handles fold up on.

When I got it, it had a couple issues. I added a new PTO switch (to turn the blades on), fixed the shifter linkage, cleaned everything, fixed the ignition system harness and fixed some of the rust on the deck. I recently sharpened the blades and cleaned out the whole fuel system. The 14 kp Kawasaki motor starts easy and runs very strong.

It has 5 forward speeds and 1 reverse. Top speed forward is a running pace, so it makes short work of large lawns. And because it is a zero turn radius, you can work faster than a conventional riding mower.

The 38" deck width is nice too because it can fit through most gates.

This would be a great mower for someone who has a lot of hills to mow, or a backup for a landscaping company.

It also comes with the 2 wheel sulky.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

I can deliver for free 20 mins from Shippensburg, or if you need delivery outside of that, we can work out a deal for delivery.
And a couple of photos:

Do you guys have any idea what this mower is worth? I confirmed from the seller that he purchased it used a few months ago and is selling it because it is too big for him to store in his garage (takes up too much space). He has put about 10-12 hours on it, and the hour meter reads 1065 total.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It looks to be in decent shape. 1065 hours is a lot though, so it's not worth a ton. To hazard a guess, maybe $300-$500 tops?
Yeah that's the price range I told him on LawnMowerForum. Hey BrokenTiller: I'm also on this forum! :ROFL

Reactions: brokentiller

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah that's the price range I told him on LawnMowerForum. Hey BrokenTiller: I'm also on this forum! :ROFL
Yup, I see that. I figured there was a good chance that people would be members on multiple forums since they're so closely related, but at the same time I wanted to get multiple opinions since that's basically all anyone can offer. I now have 3 opinions that all confirm the same price range, which is about half of what the guy's asking for it. Not worth the hour and a half trip to go see it.

Thanks to all!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yup, I see that. I figured there was a good chance that people would be members on multiple forums since they're so closely related, but at the same time I wanted to get multiple opinions since that's basically all anyone can offer. I now have 3 opinions that all confirm the same price range, which is about half of what the guy's asking for it. Not worth the hour and a half trip to go see it.

Thanks to all!
So you don't think he'll take an offer less than $800?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So you don't think he'll take an offer less than $800?
Based on the wording of his posting, I'm quite confident he would take an offer of less than $800. But I just started kicking the idea of replacing my rider/push combo with a larger walk behind/push like a week ago and I'm in no real hurry to buy anything. I stumbled across that listing the other day and thought it looked like a good deal. I figured if I could get a really good deal, I might just make the jump now. I'd basically have to get him to drop to half of his asking price to even get 'fair' value on this mower, and I was really only interested in making a purchase if I was going to be getting a really good deal. I don't have any reason to be in a rush to make a purchase - I've been mowing my lawn the way I do for 8 years and my mowers work fine - so I'm going to do a bit more research into what is available and do a couple of demos with the various styles/models (30" push mowers, 33"+ push mowers with caster front wheels but no steering controls, and 33"+ 'walk behinds' with some kind of steering control) to determine what I really want to get before I buy something.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think going to a couple of dealers and trying some machines out is an excellent idea. Nothing like holding the metal in your hands to help make up your mind. Don't be shy about talking to the mechanics in the back, many times they are very helpful with some great info. Also check into the dealers used stock. They usually don't sell junk.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I live i.n Gibsonia about 12 miles north of Pittsburgh .... there is a newer JD 36 listed in Youngstown.

john deere gs30 36" commercial walkbehind
Thanks for the heads-up. That's definitely within the area that I'd be willing to travel if/when I decide to buy but like I said, for now unless I come across a deal that's just too good to pass up I'm not acting on anything.

Are the commercial grade Kohler engines better than the residential ones? I know that the better John Deere riding mowers use Kawasaki instead of Kohler/B&S.

·
Registered
111 Posts
...so I'm going to do a bit more research into what is available and do a couple of demos with the various styles/models (30" push mowers, 33"+ push mowers with caster front wheels but no steering controls, and 33"+ 'walk behinds' with some kind of steering control) to determine what I really want to get before I buy something.
Let us know what you think of all 3 kinds. :idea:

·
Ret. Moderator
498 Posts
Most push mowers the casters are cheaply made , if you hit something most likely it will bend , then again you will not be going the speed of a commercial walk behind . And you can't put a sulky on a push mower.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Are the commercial grade Kohler engines better than the residential ones? I know that the better John Deere riding mowers use Kawasaki instead of Kohler/B&S.
The commercial Kohlers (Command Pro) are very good, but the residential ones (Courage) have many problems and I would definitely stay away from them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The commercial Kohlers (Command Pro) are very good, but the residential ones (Courage) have many problems and I would definitely stay away from them.
Thanks. I've always heard to stay away from the residential JD's with Kohlers, but I'm not familiar with commercial equipment at all. I figured the commercial line might be better, or at least different, than the residential.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts