My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Posted in general repair, but have had no responses, so reposting here)

I have a ~2009 17.5 HP 34" Pacer Walk-behind. I just got the mower this summer and I love the stripes it lays, however I have developed a bit of a problem.

It has a Hydro Gear 334 transaxle. I have hydraulic fluid leaking out of it. I have not pulled the transaxle yet. I want to wait till the mowing season is done.

It leaks about 1 - 2 drops a day while sitting. I cannot tell the leak origination point, but it drips off the bottom of the expansion tank. Is there a common point these transaxles leak? Something I should look for as a quick fix?

What are the issues I will run into if the oil level gets low? It looks like I need to pull the whole unit off to check/refill it.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
You really do not want to let it get low on oil. Then it will start sucking air in the pump and will loose power. Also not good for the pump as the oil circulation is also transferring the heat buildup on the inner parts out to the exterior case to help cool it.

What is your simplicity model number? Maybe with that we can find some service literature for it. So far I'm not having much luck using the Hydro-gear number. Are there any additional numbers on the transaxle that you can see?

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
I did not forget about you. ;)

Only finding owners manuals and parts lists for the simplicity numbers. There are several Hydro-Gear manuals posted at the link below and one of them might be close enough to do some good but not sure if any of them are an exact match.

http://www.hydro-gear.com/Main/service/service-repair-manuals

Hopefully just a hairline crack in the expansion tank or a seal on a line connected to it will solve the problem. Looking through some of those manuals there probably is a fill port separate of the tank for adding oil. They do list a Consumer/Dealer support phone number. If nothing else maybe they can help with service procedures for it.

http://www.hydro-gear.com/Main/company/contactus

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mark-

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. Interestingly it as not leaked in the last 2 weeks. I wonder if I got dirt into a poppet or something and now it cleared out?

It still has plenty off power and feels/sounds fine. Regardless, I will pull the transaxle this winter to inspect.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Maybe some dirt, thread of grass, etc. in one of the axle bearing or input shaft seals was letting them seep? :dunno:

Hopefully it fixed itself for the long haul. :cool

1 - 7 of 7 Posts