My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the entire blade-brake side spindle including bearings and shaft on my TroyBilt 33" wide-cut due to a failed bearing. When engaging the blade, it was noiser than ever so I removed the spindle and manually greased it (no grease fittings). I also made sure everything was properly aligned when I re-assembled it. It is still VERY noisy. Is it possible that the brand new bearings are bad or is there something I am missing?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Problem solved

For kicks and giggles, I decided to disassemble and check the other spindle, shaft, internal collar, and bearings even though I had no previous indication of an issue. The spindle assembly was fine, the shaft and collar had spot rust from hosing the deck down over the 13 years of use, and the bearings seemed slightly dry and worn. Being that I had a set of bearings from the parts shop, I decided to replace the non blade brake side. I cleaned the spindle assembly, shaft, collar, packed housing with grease, and pressed in the two new bearings. Reassembled both sides and held my breath as I started the mower and engaged the blades. Nothing but engine sound -- FIXED, no more spindle whine :). Two lessons learned: 1. If you need to replace bearings, spend a little extra $$ and do them on all spindles, 2. Keep your bearings greased! Final note - my neighbor has the same mower, just a year older. The spindles have grease fittings and he has not had bearing issues. I speculate that Troybilt did away with the grease fittings to save $$ beginning with my model year.

·
Administrator
6,223 Posts
Good to hear you sorted it out Bob! :cool:

The topic of grease-able bearings versus sealed bearings can get a good debate going in different forums. There's some speculation that part of the reason companies went to the sealed bearings was that Average Joe Homeowner was not too good about keeping fittings greased and the companies had less problems with them overtime. On the other hand for those of us that know what a grease fitting is used for and worry about such things, I think we would all agree we would rather have them. Much easier then trying to manually pack one. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also it has to be about $$ why they all don't put fuel shut offs and filters on gas lines that would cost much less.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an older used cub cadet 33" model 833R that I believe is like the troy built, I looked under the deck at the spindles one has a pipe plug where a Zerk fitting might go into and the other spindle has no hole at all?? perhaps this one was replaced once,not sure if I should put a fitting in and grease the other??both seem tight and turn freely.I will be keeping an eye on both.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts