My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw TireTrx's Post about ratchets earlier today and thought, as I own 3 almost complete sets of Craftsman ratchets all about 10 years apart I'd take some pictures of mine..

The oldest ones I own are early 70's Craftsmans.. They are built with quality you simply cant find today.. I don't use these as much as I use the later ones.. as I don't think I will ever be able to find more of them.. I already lost the biggest one I think.. And am Gutted as such..

The next set I have are early 90's Craftsmans.. Like the last set they were bought by my Dad, and he used them until I really got into machines, then he gave them to me one year.. They are one turned piece of tool steel like the previous generation however, they have not been polished to a shine.. so you can see the lathe marks where they were turned.. I've only had one of these break.. And it was easily fixed (Screw fell out causing it to work)

The third and final set I own is a set of 2011 Craftsmans, 2011 being the last year of american manufacturing before they moved the tool department to china where it remains..
This is the only one of the ratchets in this set that hasn't failed.. And that's because I've never used it Every other one from this set has failed.. They all snapped right in the middle in the depressed area.. These are cast not turned.. and the internals are plastic.. yes plastic..
Craftsman has fallen my friends..

Here you can see the quality of the casting.. Some ratchets I bought at Harbor Freight have lasted long than these..

So that is my small collection of ratchets.. From old to New.. from Fantastic to Junk..

-Stan

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
I loved the ones with wheel for quick spin of loose bolts! I broke one and returned it to Sears, to be given a crap one instead! I searched EBAY until I found a replacement!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Cool ratchets, Kori! Take care of them and they'll take care of you. :ThumbUp:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I loved the ones with wheel for quick spin of loose bolts! I broke one and returned it to Sears, to be given a crap one instead! I searched EBAY until I found a replacement!
Great tip about E-Bay! I never would have thought..

Saw quite a few of the older style "Thumb Wheel" for sale for incredibly reasonable prices.. Will be Spending a bit on there I can tell :bag:

-Stan

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Kori, only reason I noticed is I threw my original 1/4 drive in fit of rage once working on tractor! My old anger demon popped up! :(
I still regret it as it wasn't worn out, worked great! I found them on EBAY and think I should look for the 3/8 to replace my worn out one!

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
As Eric said, Ebay is a great source. I like to wait for sellers to list 1/4", 3/8" & 1/2" drive "sets". Usually a better deal, and you almost always save on shipping costs :cool

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Ellis, smart man!!!!!! ;)

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
I don't really remember breakage being a problem on the old stuff unless you had a cheater pipe on them especially if they were made in US. But anymore ..... :dunno:

I have some old wrenches here that by looking at them you can tell they have been beat on with a hammer, you name it by my ancestors. Some of them probably go back the better of 100 years old. Still work as well as the day they were made.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
:ditto: It's really sad how many brands of good tools have been swallowed by the "throwaway junk tool" mentality. Many of my tools came right before Craftsman sent a lot of their stuff to China, but I know if I break anything, I'll have to settle with the Chinese junk. I can't bear to go into Sears anymore! :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts