My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of a sudden the lawnmower gave a loud screech and eventually began to give off a rubber smell. It would cost about $60 for a repair guy to tell me what it would cost to fix. Does anyone know how expensive such a repair is likely to be (I would have a pro do it). Around here, an annual tune up costs $100. If a couple of hundred dollars, I would probably just buy a new one (thinking of the Honda HRN216VKA). My yard has some hills. With the Lawnboy, I never tried to pull the mower backwards, would just pick up the back end a bit to move it around. Any thoughts? Thanks.

· Administrator
6,319 Posts
Here's a link to give a rough idea on parts costs.

Lawn Boy Insight Lawn Mower | 10685 | eReplacementParts.com

Could be as simple as a twig managed to get caught in the belt drive and locked thinks up or the transmission or wheel gears broken / locked. Unless it is a twig your probably gauaranteed $150-200 minimum given tuneups are $100.

· Registered
501 Posts
Welcome to MLF CJinVA. I had that exact problem that Mark described with the twig. Somehow a small twig made it past the inner wheel cover and lodged between the pinion gear and wheel gear. It stopped forward movement immediately. I would pull each drive wheel and inspect for debris, if nothing is found, could be the transmission?

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to all. I took off the rear wheels and put them back on. Nothing seemed wrong or unusual. I tipped it over a bit and reached under the deck and kind of squeezed the belt together at both ends (to check the slack) and pulled the cord that engages the self propelled feature. Nothing seemed unusual. I was going to put it away, but figured I would start it once just to remind myself of the problem (what it sounded and felt like). It started right up and worked perfectly so I mowed the lawn. I have no idea what the problem was or how long it will keep working, but for now, I am happy and will keep my fingers crossed that all stays well to the next spring tune up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.