My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hope this is an easy fix....I've owned my Honda lawnmower since new. It's been the perfect mower. It would not start today for the first time ever, It did start perfectly yesterday
Here's what I've done so far to try and solve my problem.

Inspected the air cleaner, looks good.
Inspected the carb to make sure it's getting gas, it is....
Pulled the 2 spark plugs and they both look good.
Checked to see if the plugs were getting spark by grounding them on the block and turned the engine over. "NO" there is no spark.
Checked all the fuses and their good.

Does anyone have any other ideas or things I might check as to why there's no engine spark? The mower turns over very well but just won't start.
thank you in advance...
Dennis

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Hello Dennis. Your magneto /coil is bad most likely. Since you owned it since new, most likely a worn out part. Do you have some repair knowledge? I am not familiar with this engine so not sure if it has an external coil or normal magneto under engine tins.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm somewhat handy when it comes to fixing things. However I don't know how to check the coil. I do have a Fluke multi meter. I've removed that old pic and just added a few new ones.
thanks...

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
I see the new pictures! WOW that is some set up! Liquid cooled twin!! It looks like a horizontal crankshaft, if so might be harder to check. Let me look into engine on this and see where the ignition is.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Reactions: bwdbrn1

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks Eric I'll give it a shot. Hopefully it will give me a step by step on troubleshooting the magneto.
Dennis

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Don't do more than you have to.

Page 2-11 lists the order of checking the igntion system. The first thing it suggests to do if there is no spark is to install new plugs.

Then the combination switch and combination relay.

Then check the spark plug caps.

The last thing it suggests is checking the ignition coil.

Finally, if all else fails, replace the coil.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now that, I think, I've determined that my electrical problem is the coil, I can't get physically to it for removal. Is someone familiar with these Honda tractors? I hope the engine doesn't have to be removed to change a stupid coil....

There's a plastic shroud that protects both the timing belt and the coil in the rear of the engine. I've loosened the shroud but it will only move away from the engine about an 1 1/2" before the shroud hits the battery mount which unfortunately is welded to the frame and it can't be removed. The shroud is about 4" wide.

Any ideas from you good folks?
Dennis

·
Registered
226 Posts
You are correct about pulling the engine. And, if the motor is out, may as well do the water pump, too. It's just a huge job and huge money.I looked into doing this for a friend and turned him down. I was going to change a stator. The part was about 180 bucks. The repair was about impossible. This is a reason these aren't sold here, anymore. They are fabulous machines, but impractical to own.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Unfortunately, it does seem that you have to remove the engine to get to the bits you're looking to access.

Section 4 of the manual Eric found for you covers the removal and installation of the engine. Other sections explain the removal and replacement of other segments.

I have that tractor myself, but other than having to replace a defective module and regular maintenance, I haven't done much to it. It is a fantastic tractor, and in my opinion is well worth the work it would take to keep it going, but that is something you would have to decide for yourself on your tractor.

I would agree with Pythons37 about replacing the water pump while you're at it. I would also say it would be a good idea to replace the timing belt too. The belt, pump and gasket for that job will run about $130.00

I have a Honda ES6500 generator that has the same engine as the H4514. I replaced the water pump and timing belt on it, and that part of the job is easy enough. The big difference being that that part of the engine is right out in front on the generator, and easy to get at.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I'm not going to abandon the mower. To many years of great service. This is the first issue with it except for a couple deck bearings thru the years. Where in your opinion, do you feel is the best online site to buy parts?
I called our local Honda authorized sales dealer and they want $86 per hour labor. They said it would probably take 2 hours to diagnosis the problem then another 5 if the engine does have to be removed. That's almost $650 no parts included. OUCH!!! I don't know if I want to spend that much. I will probably, with the help of my 2 sons, try it ourselves. With that good step by step manual, how hard can it be?
thanks for the advise
Dennis

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Man, that thing is showroom clean. :ThumbUp:

·
Registered
226 Posts
The guy who owns the tractor I was talking about buys a new battery every year and charges it up before he mows. I don't know how big his lawn is, but he's been doing it for years.

There is stuff on You Tube about this job, I think.

If you pull the motor, give some thought to a valve job, while it's out. Have a radiator shop clean that out, too.

I think this machine is worth fixing, even at the Dealer prices. No one makes anything as good, right now. Good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
boats.net is an excellent source for parts. Their prices are usually the best, shipping is fast, and their communication to the customer to keep you informed of the order's progress is great.

I've used them for years.

Once you find the part number for the part you need, you can google "Honda _______ " (fill in the blank with the part number) and look for the best price. Don't overlook the price of shipping too. That added to the price of the part can make getting the parts from one source better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well folks....the saga continues. I was getting ready to pull the engine to access the coil when one of my sons stopped by to help me. He wanted to confirm that the engine didn't have any spark so I put the plugs back in to show him. THEN IT STARTED JUST FINE, I couldn't believe it!!!. We turned it off and on several times and then tried mowing for a while and everything seemed fine. Yesterday I went to move the tractor and again it wouldn't start. I checked the plugs and no spark....
So I'm thinking there's a short somewhere but don't have a clue where to look. Everything looks great when visually checking the wires.
Any thoughts on where and what to do?
thanks, Dennis

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Sometimes a bad coil will behave unpredictably; the wires in there are so small it's easy for stuff to make or break a connection. It might be just that the coil is on and off.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
i bet the ground lead on coil terminal is lose or a wire is rubbing against the frame somewhere grounding out the ignition

1 - 20 of 34 Posts