My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a self propelled 4hp walk behind mower that was purchased by my grandmother in 1986. It was put out to pasture due to the self propel not working in the early 00's and thats when I got it. Turns out the belt just slipped off a pulley.

I pretty much let it sit from then till a few months back when I decided to see if I could get it to start. I put in a new plug, sorta cleaned the carb and it actually fired up and ran but it really had no throttle response. I could move the throttle forward and back and it would slowly go up or down in rpm but not much.

After that I put in in the shed thinking it would be good enough if I needed it. Well I decided I needed it a few days ago and tried to get it going again but I'm having no luck.

First thing the throttle cable broke, rusted solid. I bought a new one from the John Deere dealership up the road. Then I pulled the carb and its lookin bad.

So thats why I'm here. I'm trying to find a compatible carb equivalent to the $80.00 Briggs & Stratton one. The carb on the engine is a Walbro lms3 491331 which was replaced by the 492498. At the moment I don't want to spend the money on the 492498 and I've found a lot of similar looking carbs on ebay but am not sure if they are compatible.

The main difference I see in the ebay carbs is there are no adjustment screws. So can I just throw on one of these ebay carbs and be good?

Also the engine model is 110707-3170-01 maybe I should have just asked what carb works for this engine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
you can swap carburetors around sometimes, as long as everything hooks up properly you might be okay. there is always the question of if if will run properly, however. might be too lean, might be too rich.
me, I'd go with bwdbrn1's suggestion and do a thorough cleaning and overhaul, because no matter how you slice or dice it, OE is almost always the better way to go.
moreover, on that particular carb, you've got the ability to adjust the idle speed and idle mixture on the carb; something you don't have with the newer carburetors.

that said, you've got a 30-year-old mower, and only you can make the determination as to whether or not the rest of the machine warrants a major investment. I would say $80 for a carb sounds crazy - you're not restoring a '32 Ford coupe or a '53 Chev Custom Cab, so going cheap and availing yourself to EBay or some other source (Craigslist?) might be the way to go.

usually those carbs are repairable as long as they haven't been sitting with water in them. I'd go that route first.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Looks like it would take overhaul kit #494394, ten bucks on ebay.

BUT, on the carb everything I can find says it's not available and no one has a substitution. Something else might fit and work but the throttle and or choke might not hook up the same.
You might try calling searsparts, partstree, .... and see if any of them have a recommendation.

Reactions: cuttingrass

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys. Re-building Isn't a big deal I'm just lazy.

My internet skills aren't the best and when I tried that rebuild kit part number nothing comes up as far as that exact kit on ebay. Could you post a link?

I think my plan is going to rebuild the carb and also for grins buy one of the ebay carbs since they are so cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts

couldnt find that kit mentioned but this kit will replace that kit mentioned. apparently the other kit is obsolete

·
Registered
74 Posts
I thought those pieces looked awfully familiar:

#498260 B&S carb kit - should be available at any mower shop.
I'm currently paying $10.49 for them here locally, so the EBay price on that one is pretty good (includes shipping.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts