My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run estate sales and do clean outs on the side. After a while like anything else you build a little network of people doing the same thing. A buddy of mine has a gig with county liquidations. This bike was there and he scored it for the grand sum of 50 bucks! He called me and flipped it my way for 90 dollars. To him it was just a MC, not up his alley. To me, it's a legend. Four in a row, a real ground pounder. Needless to say I was stunned when I flipped the tarp off it. Loaded it up last nite and got her home.

Early assessment, 1982 Honda CB750 Custom, 16,000 original miles. Not registered since 1988. Two owners. Full paperwork, title and regi. Front end took a shot. Front fork bent. Tach wasted. One rear tail light toast. Fuel tank very clean inside(and stone empty), but dented up pretty good. Front calipers frozen. Seat......a pot holder would be better cushion. Engine free, tranny shifting fine.

The knarly beast on arrival.....

Me and my right hand Mike got to tackling this one. First order of business was seeing if the engine is still viable. So, we cut out the old air filter box to access the carbs, did the spark plug, battery thing, turned the key to "on", ether and pushed the button.............fired right up!!!!

The plan is a mild cafe or a bobber, still mulling that. Low buck goal, less than the CC's spent.....$750, for a viable streeter. We'll see. Few more pics after the partial strip down. Stay tuned :2th:

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Dang, can't hardly beat a deal like that, and you just have to love that it started right up after sitting so long!:2th:

As long at the frame didn't get damaged by what ever bent the forks it should be good to go. Might wan to have somebody go over those 80s vintage Honda star wheels real good too just to make sure they haven't been compromised by what ever gave it that shot to the front.

This will be fun to watch as you get it back into shape!:cool

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dang, can't hardly beat a deal like that, and you just have to love that it started right up after sitting so long!:2th:

As long at the frame didn't get damaged by what ever bent the forks it should be good to go. Might wan to have somebody go over those 80s vintage Honda star wheels real good too just to make sure they haven't been compromised by what ever gave it that shot to the front.

This will be fun to watch as you get it back into shape!:cool
Thanks, Bruce. Couldn't be happier with the price. My buddy called last night.....couldn't believe we already had it running.

The frame looks fine. The front rim looks good, but it is a major concern. I plan on throwing it on a stand and giving it a full inspection with an indicator.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Sweet deal, Ellis!

I had a 750 very like yours. It never gave me a lick of trouble, always started and I took it on many long rides with my buddies back in CA. My uncle wanted it so bad that I let him have it and bought back my R75/4 (BMW) from my dad (his brother). The Honda was a very nice road bike -

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Good candidate for a cafe project for sure! Pretty amazing deal too!

Keep us posted! Looking forward to seeing your plans for it.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Looks like the makings of a neat project, look forward to following along. :2th:
Hmm, was that a Gravely waiting for some attention in the background? ;)

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
I see you noticed that flash of orange paint in the background too.:cool There's got to be another story in the making there too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Awesome deal! Nice to come across these bikes that have been stored well (at least from the looks of it!). I have had one of those wheels crack on me before when I was having new tires put on, it had been out in the weather (unused, sitting) most of its life though.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup, that's a Gravely L8. On the other side of the delivery van(engine store house, lol) is another 20 or so L's and riders :bag:Mostly parts machines.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Yup, that's a Gravely L8. On the other side of the delivery van(engine store house, lol) is another 20 or so L's and riders :bag:Mostly parts machines.
I only have 4 G's~ right now but I may need to get with you later....:cool

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I only have 4 G's~ right now but I may need to get with you later....:cool
Only 4 G's? Gee Bruce, that must be pretty hard on ya! :sidelaugh
I have a 24G w/ 72" deck.

Then there's my never ending Custom build :bag:

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Nice old bike. Now if you could find a Z1100 Kawasaki.:ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Little progress report. Replaced front forks. Repaired headlight.

Fixed the gas tank. Will have a slightly glossy clear coat.

Cut off all the tabs, and the seat brace that are unnecessary now. Smoothed and primed.

Side shot.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Very good! :ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Getting there, Austen, Bruce. I have parts ready to go on. A STOP light(It's a Model A left rear with license plate light :cool) and some old bullet lights I'm using for back blinkers. I ordered 4 K & N pods for the carbs. I'll have to re-jet the carbs to run those. And synchronize them. Need a new battery and once I figure how much we're chopping from the seat frame, plus welding in new brace, a new fabricated seat. I can make the pan, but never tried upholstery. We'll see. Check valve lash also.

Here's link to the STOP light.

Motorcycle Deluxe Tail Light Assy Stop Stainless Black Powder Coated 12V L | eBay

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Bruce. I have one on my Model A pickup in my avatar, so I knew the size/look. But, it's been done on Bobbers many times. Some mount them on the left side of the rear wheel with vertical license plate. I'm going behind the seat low angled. Plan on making a solid frame to act as a rear fender(stock one is not in the plans).

1 - 20 of 66 Posts