My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Along with LBAD (Lawn Boy addiction disorder) I now have VSAD (Velosolex Addiction disorder).

Here is my latest purchase.

It's a 1979 Model 4600.

This is much more of a moped than the older 4800 model. It has a better engine engagement mechanism, Brake lights, A horn, better throttle etc.

When I bought it it hadn't been used in about 2 years and the 2 stroke fuel in the tank had turned into a molasses type substance which had blocked the fuel filters, Lines and fuel pump rock solid.. But after a quick cleaning with some pipe cleaners it roared to life.

It's a lot of fun to ride.. More so than the 4200 as it feels much more like a moped and less like a bicycle with a glorified weedwhacker engine.

I'll Post a video soon.. My desktop PC has been giving me issues lately (Time to buy a Mac Desktop I think)

-Stan

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
That's really cool, Kori!! Nice find! So unique, it sure is in great condition. I think it's wonderful that you've discovered this distinctive hobby.

Love the video especially, that was fantastic. I enjoyed learning about the history and also getting the sensation of what it's like to ride. Cool how you put the soundtrack in there too at that one part, made it feel like you were riding it in its heyday!

Keep up the excellent work! This is great.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's really cool, Kori!! Nice find! So unique, it sure is in great condition. I think it's wonderful that you've discovered this distinctive hobby.

Love the video especially, that was fantastic. I enjoyed learning about the history and also getting the sensation of what it's like to ride. Cool how you put the soundtrack in there too at that one part, made it feel like you were riding it in its heyday!

Keep up the excellent work! This is great.
Thanks Austen.. A friend of mine just bought a new one from the Velsolex website.. and they were 20th backorder?! So I guess they are still pretty popular..

Also, It turns out it's a 4600 model not a 5000.. If someone wouldn't mind changing the thread name I'd be most grateful.

-Stan

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Also, It turns out it's a 4600 model not a 5000.. If someone wouldn't mind changing the thread name I'd be most grateful.
Done. :2th:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Nice Kori!! I think those machines are cool!!!!!!

·
Registered
507 Posts
:sidelaugh So is the other one a 2800, 3800, or 4800? Your other thread says 2800, this thread says 4800 and the video says 3800

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys!

Shortly after I took the video, It started acting up.. No power.. hard to start.. really smokey (Trail of blue smoke behind you) and It turned out the muffler was blocked with carbon/oil and needed cleaning..

Cleaned it out and WOWZA! This thing really rips! Easily 25MPH Now! :2th: :2th:

I also reattached the guard.. It's not in those pictures as it was all bent and rusty.. Unbent it and hit it with a fine wire wheel like I use on Lawn-Boy Handles and it came up beautiful... Just have to do the rims and handlebars next!

Here is a photo of one (Not mine) with the guard fitted.

-Stan

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Cleaned it out and WOWZA! This thing really rips! Easily 25MPH Now!
Nothing wrong with more power! :ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Cool!! More power as Jeremy says! ;)

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Sorry, I had to do it. 3:01

Ok, back on track now. :bag::bag:

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Too much fun! I'll never forget the time we got to watch the Ariel Atom video in Engineering class at school. So much better than writing a report. :sidelaugh:p

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
"rips your face off"!!!!!! Love that episode of Top Gear!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Little update,
the headlight on the 4600 seemed a bit dim.. So I decided to pose the question to the Mopedarmy forums.. I was in for a shock.. I must have gone soft being around such great people all the time on here because I was quite taken aback to be insulted and called names on my introductory post due to not pointing out some aspect of my Moped.. Jeez!

Anyway, I was told by the literally one respectful member that I needed to check all my wiring and maybe clean some terminals as the machine is all frame grounded..

So that's where I'm at now.. Going to clean the connections and see if that makes a difference on headlight performance.

Cheers!
-Capstan

1 - 20 of 27 Posts