Over the weekend I really got the urge to get the headlights working again, I wanted to see those "eyes" come alive and somehow the idea of taking it out for a night spin just sounded appealing to me.
The original headlight wiring was frayed, it appeared that it got wrapped up in the PTO at one point. I ran new wiring and connector to the switch and as Murphy's law would have it, as soon as I hit the switch both lit up but then one went out... not more than a second after being on. Darn!! I couldn't get it light up again, it was done. The output was a little more than I figured and now I see the reason for the heat shield above them and the tank, the single one that did
work put out some heat! Why two new bulbs? Because #1, I want them both to match and two, it'll only be a matter of time before the other decides to quit leaving me with a bad wink on a dark night.
I ordered two new bulbs but since they're no longer made with the spade connectors, I ordered a couple of screw-to-spade style adapters versus splicing on new connectors.
While I had the hood off I decided to give her a wax. The engine covers and fenders, especially, shined up really well (P.S., enlarge the pics!
). I thought it was kind of neat to find remnants of old crusty wax in some nooks and crannies which oddly contradicts what you're about to see next.
As I mentioned in a recent update a lot of, if not most, of the hardware fastening the deck to the mule drive and frame mounts is all mismatched and some is just a mess. Take a look at the example to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
Yeeeahh... not cool. Like I said, it kind of negates the wax a little. Hmmm. Anyhow, this'll all get fixed and replaced with stainless hardware (...an ongoing project with this machine pertaining to appropriate fasteners that need it) once I figure out what needs to be what.
I placed an order today for the custom spacer adapters from Motorsport Tech who's a sponsor on some of the tractor forums. Lenny is hooking me up with a deal in exchange for a write up review on the products, so a separate feature will follow.
Once this stuff is done I'll have to decide if I want to continue using the machine through the rest of the summer or jump into the hydraulic conversion- something that is chomping me at the bit to be installed. If the latter, it'll be out of commission for at least a month or two as I'll also be pulling the trans tunnel off to repair a small rust hole and having new hydraulics lines will take a little time to have done.
Overall, the more that I work on it the move I love it! It's like working on a vintage car and is fun to give it the attention it deserves and watch it come further along. :ThumbUp: