My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Restored this little gem for a friend of mine. It's a 1973 Columbia Ladies 3 speed bike. It had been in her yard for approximately 20 years as decoration after the rear axle snapped clean in two.. (Apparently her son's friend jumped it off a sea wall.) There's one way to kill a Sturmey Archer hub.. so I rebuilt it, found a new set of decals, and repainted the frame. Handlebars off a 1963 Rudge.. at least they still had chrome. The pictures I have of it are a bit scattered.. now it has two headlamps and a speedometer, but I cant find those pics.. so these will have to do. The last one shows the two lamps though.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Neat bike! I like the gear changer mech.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boy, back in the day having three speeds was pretty darn special! Classic bike with real fenders too!
Anything's better then the old balloon tire, single speed, tank bikes of the era. Drive this one compared to my '53 Columbia Superbe, and.. well, the ride may be smoother, but.. thats because you came to a hill and stalled.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Had a late 60's Columbia stingray. Only a 3 spd. unfortunately. Also an early 70's 27" ten speed English racer. Both nice bikes.

You did a fine job with the old girl, like the color :cool

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
i had a black english racer with the 3speed S/A hub
thats a nice restore job you did on the yard art
most of my bicycles are early to mid '80 schwinn light weight's and a late '90's bianchi

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Anything's better then the old balloon tire, single speed, tank bikes of the era. Drive this one compared to my '53 Columbia Superbe, and.. well, the ride may be smoother, but.. thats because you came to a hill and stalled.
I know what you're talking about! Better hope there was a good downhill slope to get some speed up before trying that uphill side.:ROFL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts