Mylawnmowerforum.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
6,202 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :)

Coil inside the flywheel? :Thinking: What make engine is on it? Can you find any numbers on the engine anyplace?

I converted the 3hp Briggs on my 1970's Toro Whirlwind to electronic many years ago from points and condenser with just an off the shelf kit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If your 1969 Toro Whirlwind is like my 1968 Toro Whirlwind, it would most likely have a tecumseh engine. To my knowledge, there are no electronic coils that will work on these older engines. I think it was until about 1986 that Tecumseh started using the electronic coils that mount outside of the flywheel. I know you can convert old B&S engines because they had the coils mounted outside of the flywheel. Al

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you buy one of those atom kits/ electronic ignition module kit like this,
For some reason, they will not work with those tecumseh engines with the coil under the flywheel. I've tried and tried and never can get it to produce a strong, consistent spark. They work great on the ones with the coils mounted outside the flywheel.
Maybe it's just me....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi thankyou for replying I think it's a briggs engine on my Toro I purchased a electronic ignition haven't came in the mail yet

·
Administrator
6,202 Posts
It said something about positive ground or negative ground how do I tell witch one I have
Does it have a battery? Which ever side of the battery is tied to the frame (frame = ground) tells. But looks like you may be rope start only so in that case you would be neither. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anybody know where I can get a coil for briggs stratton 1960 whirlwind the coil is on inside of flywheel

·
Registered
82 Posts
Does anybody know where I can get a coil for briggs stratton 1960 whirlwind the coil is on inside of flywheel
we'll need the model information, usually stamped into the blower housing around the sparkplug.
I've never seen a briggs engine with the coil mounted under the flywheel, usually tecumseh does that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you can find the model number, Toro has a parts website that will give you all the part numbers for a particular unit. With the part number you can then search E-bay. You might be surprised how many "no longer available" parts can be found there. The Toro parts website shows my 1968 whirlwind mower. So your 1969 should be there too. Al

1 - 10 of 10 Posts