My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing craigslist one day and saw a strange looking bicycle with a motor over the front tire and said "Wow, What the heck is that? It's really cool"

Turns out it was a VeloSolex Assisted Bicycle.. Basically a heavy duty Bicycle frame with a friction drive 2-Stroke engine on the front wheel.. People seem to love them from what I can tell.. So, I gave the guy a call..

I didn't end up getting that one, He sold it out from under me when I was 2 minutes late due to traffic.. Oh well.. But my interests had been peaked and I started looking around for another Solex..

Here's what I found.

It's a 1966 Velosolex S2800 Assisted Bicycle.

The previous owner had bought it, Drove it for a couple years then decided to do an engine rebuild.. Got as far as actually rebuilding the engine.. and ran out of steam before he put it back together.

I had to reattach the Carburetor, The engine covers/gas tank and some other parts to put it back together..

It has a 49cc 2-Stroke Engine making 0.7 HP and doing nearly 200 Miles per gallon..

It goes 20 Miles an hour down hill with a downwind.. Or about 10-15 Miles under normal conditions.. Which frankly is about as fast as you really want go on something like this.

Here's it next to a basic Mountain bike.. As you can see it's really not much bigger than it's manual counterpart and it fits on a normal bike rack.

It's really a wonderful little machine.. And the engine is so beautifully simple, it's got 4 moving parts and no belts, Clutches or gears.

I will take a video shortly.

Cheers!
-Capstan

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Now that's a really cool bicycle!! I can see why it caught your attention. Never heard of that company before.

It looks to be in great shape and the engine was rebuilt? Awesome! :ThumbUp:
Thanks for sharing this, it looks like a lot of fun. Can't wait to see the video and hopefully you riding in down the street! :cool

P.S., You might consider replacing the tires judging by the last pic. ;)

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now that's a really cool bicycle!! I can see why it caught your attention. Never heard of that company before.

It looks to be in great shape and the engine was rebuilt? Awesome! :ThumbUp:
Thanks for sharing this Cory, this looks like a lot of fun. Can't wait to see the video and hopefully you riding in down the street! :cool

P.S., You might consider replacing the tires judging by the last pic. ;)
I plan on Replacing the Tires.. I was unable to edit that in as I stated in my previous post.

It's not surprising you haven't heard of them.. They weren't that popular here but they are making a comeback.. You can buy a brand new 2800 for about $1500 from VelosoleX Home - Solex Mopeds

Those are the two distributers I know of here in the states.. They are very popular in Canada so I hear.. and extremely popular in france of course.. The website claims they have produced nearly 30 million to this date.. So they have to be popular somewhere :ROFL

-Stan

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
SWEET find! Kori, that is like the new trend in bikes with electric assists and such! Dad says he wants one as he is lazy on bike! ;) That is so cool, can't wait to see video of ya on it!

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Now that's neat. Put on your beret, put a picnic basket on the back, grab a loaf of French bread and you'll be all set!

Hope you do your video soon. Seen them before, never heard one running or moving. Looked at one of those and Puch Magnum a guy here had, but he wanted way too much and wouldn't budge on the price, so I pased on them. Check out mopedarmy.com

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was planning on doing my video today.. But it's really cold and wet.. so we will see.. I am going on a mini vacation for about a week starting tomorrow.. So I may have to make the video when I get back.

-Stan

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Video shot, Going to edit and upload later.

Took it for a long ride today (nearly an hour) And ran out of gas.. It's not bad to pedal as a bike.. I rode it home just pedaling and it was no heavier than a medium mountain bike. No gears though..

-Stan

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
:cool Neat find!

I did not realize it until I saw one at the local old engine show but they still make an add-on motor kit to mount to a bicycle. Fellow had mounted one to a new mountain bike. I don't remember now the brand name but he mentioned he bought the kit off the internet.

Back in 1980 when I was in the market for a moped I almost bought one of the kits then to put on my bicycle. At the time I think I saw an ad in for them in the Old Farmers Almanac. Dad and I were worried though how well the friction drive would work so ended up going with the Motobecane instead. Probably a good thing considering I rode the poor thing through everything from snow to mud on a wooded trail near the house. :D

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Thanks for the ride along Kori. That was fun! You got yourself a real treasure there and it absolutely purrs.

Surprising how much fun putting along at 15 mph can be, isn't it!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Man that thing is SOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love it!! I'd love to take that for a ride!!! ;)

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:ditto: Looks like a total blast! You're gonna have a ton of fun with that! :cool
Hey thanks guys, I repaired the cross threaded fuel line with JB Weld before I left for my vacation and it's going to "Cure" While I'm on Vacation (Posting this from my Hotel) and that should stop the fuel leak and get the gas mileage back up into the 150-200MPG Range.

-Stan

1 - 20 of 26 Posts