My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On My way home from Home Depot and saw this sitting on the side of the road.. Stopped and was loading it up when the owner ran down and handed me the owners manual and told me the engine had "Gotten Stuck somehow" awhile ago and he had just bought a new one..

The engine was seized up rock solid, And unsurprisingly there was absolutely no Oil in the sump! You could see shiny metal at the bottom of the dipstick tube..

The engine unstuck pretty easy.. And after adding a bit of oil fired right up and purrs like a kitten.. The engine is a 1957 model Tecumseh with all cast iron internal parts.

It's also Massive.. Look at the size of the engine compared to my fairly large hand.

The machine has obviously been repainted at some stage, As there is basically no rust on the unit.. And the paint underneath all the grease is perfectly clean..

Also, What looks like rust on the top of the engine seems to also just be dirt.. As it all rubbed off with a damp cloth..

Everything seems to work as it should. The belts look in good condition, as do the tires and chains..

I'll make a video of it tomorrow and upload that..

-Stan

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
NICE!!! Way to go Kori!! I loved our old girl Ariens like that!! We had the mower for front too. Wish I could have talked dad into keeping it! :(

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Wow!! That's quite the find! You won't find anything like that at Home Depot.

That's great that you got it and saved it. That'll be a long lasting machine for sure!

Are you certain that's not the original paint? From the photos it appears to be well preserved under all that grease. That's how all my Jacobsens were. Kind of liking finding a treasure underneath.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow!! That's quite the find! You won't find anything like that at Home Depot.

That's great that you got it and saved it. That'll be a long lasting machine for sure!

Are you certain that's not the original paint? From the photos it appears to be well preserved under all that grease. That's how all my Jacobsens were. Kind of liking finding a treasure underneath.
No.. It's not original.. They have painted over stickers and oversprayed on everything.. It's the same with my 74 actually.. Bad paint job..

-Stan

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Nice catch there! Sure good you came across it instead of somebody just out junking. We know you'll treat it right.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Motor,

Got the pressure washer out and gave it a bit of a cleaning.. A lot of grime came off..

Tried to make a video but got rained out.. April showers eh?

-Stan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts