Mylawnmowerforum.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all; first post for me on this forum!

Here are a few pictures of my 1957 Eclipse Rocket Deluxe, which we brought down here to Florida last year. This particular machine has the optional 115VAC electric start option. It's been a lot of fun getting it running and giving it a perfunctory cleaning.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice mower in beautiful shape! Is that original paint? Those powered reel mowers are sooooo cool. Thanks for sharing it...

Reactions: Mike_in_Florida

·
Administrator
7,356 Posts
That is SO cool!! I love it! :)

The electric start is even more unique. Very nice find! It wears its working clothes very handsomely too.

Thanks for posting the photos and for preserving it!

P.S. Have you been to this site before? http://www.angelfire.com/planet/eclipsereelmowers/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Austen!

Yes, I've been on that Angelfire site but thank you for the reference. In fact that's where I originally determined that it was manufactured in 1957.

By the way I've thoroughly enjoyed your numerous YouTube videos!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Cool mower and original paint. Great score and thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Mike_in_Florida

·
Premium Member
6,102 Posts
That's an absolutely beautiful color scheme on that mower. Old Eclipse mowers are just simply neat in every aspect of their construction. I've never seen one with the optional electric start. That had to be pretty darn special back in 1957!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you bwdbrn1; I love the color too!

The electric start IS pretty cool...and it works great! Hard to say with any certainty but I would guess that it wasn't ordered on all that many of them.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Ok Mike, It was bound to happen, where in FL are you? Lake County here.

That is a cool mower you have there, where did you come from?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Five Points,

I am here on Florida's west coast, in Pinellas County.

The Eclipse came from the estate of my best friend, in Western NY. I ended up bringing it to Florida after a trip north to visit friends and family last summer.

It's nice to know another vintage iron enthusiast here in Florida!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Five Points,

I am here on Florida's west coast, in Pinellas County.

The Eclipse came from the estate of my best friend, in Western NY. I ended up bringing it to Florida after a trip north to visit friends and family last summer.

It's nice to know another vintage iron enthusiast here in Florida!
About two hours +-, not too far :2th:

That seems to be about the only way nice old iron shows up here in FL, is someone brings it with them.

If you ever decide to unload the old girl . . . :bag:
Thanks Mike for sharing the story, I'm sure it has a bit of sentimental value as well and we're happy you decided to preserve it rather then send it down the road.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Five Points,

It's somewhat of a conundrum as to the seeming lack of old iron here, especially from the 1950's/60's, isn't it?

What with the gazillion postwar homes in Florida, one would think that there'd be a ton of vintage mowers. About the only explanation that I can come up with is with the lack of basements and often-cramped garages, folks tended to let the old mower go when it got replaced or they got a lawn service. Or they set it out behind the garage, and the sunshine and humidity destroyed it in short order. That said, once in a while an oldie pops up. Are you looking for anything in particular??

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Five Points,

It's somewhat of a conundrum as to the seeming lack of old iron here, especially from the 1950's/60's, isn't it?

What with the gazillion postwar homes in Florida, one would think that there'd be a ton of vintage mowers. About the only explanation that I can come up with is with the lack of basements and often-cramped garages, folks tended to let the old mower go when it got replaced or they got a lawn service. Or they set it out behind the garage, and the sunshine and humidity destroyed it in short order. That said, once in a while an oldie pops up. Are you looking for anything in particular??
I think you have it correct. The only time I find something worthy is when someone brings something down with them from up north.
I'm not looking for anything in particular, just old stuff that is cool. :cool I tend to find interesting stuff when I keep an open mind.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts