My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Restored this one for the local fire station. They bought it new when the station went up in 1927. It's a United Electric MFG; before they were bought out by Bersted and turned to junk. Man this thing is built TOUGH. Especially for an el-cheapo of it's time. Had to machine new oilers, bearings, and a new rotor shaft. Rewound the stator coils too. It oughta' last them another 80 years now, eh? It was a real wreck.. had been in their shed for awhile.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Woah!! That is a really neat fan! I'll bet heavy too!

You did a beautiful job restoring it and the fire station will be proud to display it. :ThumbUp:

Thanks for posting the pics!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
:ditto:
I always thought how funny that the grill spacing was never an issue back in the day. Small children... :O

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll bet heavy too!
Surprisingly, no. It's half aluminum.. or pot metal. It's actually quite light.. From recollection, maybe 5-10LBS compared to the 50LB 16" Emerson I'm working on now. I'll have to get some more pics.. I did some 'custom' restores on sone '50's models.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think Stepney is actually this guy.:)
HAH! No, I don't 'over-restore' things.. sometimes... Still better then the David Bradley he did with LIME GREEN wheels!:soap: However.. I do wish I could paint like his shop can.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Cool!! :cool

I have a GE oscillating and Western Electric from that time period and a Zero that is a little newer. The GE and Zero were my grandparent's fans and they were still using them in the house so they are good shape and still ran last I plugged them in. Also still using a couple steel frame, metal bladed box fans from the 60's.

Have you found any special sources for electrical parts like for the multiple speed switches? My grandfather wired past the switch on the GE back before my time (better of 50 years ago). I believe it was the type that had a sliding lever on the base.

Wonder how many of today's fans will still run after 80 years with only the power cord being replaced and an occasional drop of oil on the bearings? :rolleyes:

:ditto:
I always thought how funny that the grill spacing was never an issue back in the day. Small children... :O
That was back when we still learned not to do things after we done them or watched someone else do it. :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool!! :cool

I have a GE oscillating and Western Electric from that time period and a Zero that is a little newer. The GE and Zero were my grandparent's fans and they were still using them in the house so they are good shape and still ran last I plugged them in. Also still using a couple steel frame, metal bladed box fans from the 60's.

Have you found any special sources for electrical parts like for the multiple speed switches? My grandfather wired past the switch on the GE back before my time (better of 50 years ago). I believe it was the type that had a sliding lever on the base.

Wonder how many of today's fans will still run after 80 years with only the power cord being replaced and an occasional drop of oil on the bearings? :rolleyes:

That was back when we still learned not to do things after we done them or watched someone else do it. :D
One of the older slide switches? If you know the model of the fan, your probably okay. Maybe an AX or an AOU, for example. Those slide switches really cant break, its the resistor coil inline with the switch that goes.. though I've never actually seen one die before. EBay may have one.. but the prices can get ridiculous. The reason they were removed often was because the bakelite insulator on the end of the knob would break if the fan was handled roughly.. then you had a nice copper strip sticking out the side..

·
Registered
480 Posts
I don't know, looks safe enough to me.
View attachment 25033

Beautiful job Stepney.
Yes indeed, very beautiful work.

Oh and I was that kid once only it was darts. :bag: I couldn't sit for a week when my dad was done with me. That's how kids learned back then.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
HAH! No, I don't 'over-restore' things..
Well, I'm glad to hear that :sidelaugh

I like seeing the stuff, but the value he puts on his finished work is sheer lunacy. I've sold mint originals for much less.

Beautiful work on the fan, it's a classic :ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts

Oh and I was that kid once only it was darts. :bag: I couldn't sit for a week when my dad was done with me. That's how kids learned back then.
It was a metal hair barrette I found in the third grade, tripped the breaker while I was in school and that was the last time... :ROFL

·
Registered
480 Posts
Breaker? Dude I'm talking fuses here. :ROFL And they didn't blow.
The darts were the cheap plastic bodied ones but the tip was metal, they went in okay but when I grabbed the tip to pull them I got bit. I was too young and stupid to grab the plastic part or I would have gotten away with it.:sidelaugh

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
One of the older slide switches? If you know the model of the fan, your probably okay. Maybe an AX or an AOU, for example. Those slide switches really cant break, its the resistor coil inline with the switch that goes.. though I've never actually seen one die before. EBay may have one.. but the prices can get ridiculous. The reason they were removed often was because the bakelite insulator on the end of the knob would break if the fan was handled roughly.. then you had a nice copper strip sticking out the side..
I think the switch is totally gone on it if I remember right. My grandfather worked as a property maintenance man for a very well to do family. What they tossed out for trash as broken he would take home and try to coble back to some form of working order to get more use out of it. They probably got zapped switching it on or off and out the door it went. Still have an electric clock, a very early Emerson TV and Zenith shortwave radio that he picked up that way. I'll have to look at the fan again when I get a chance and see if there are any parts left inside to give some clues.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts

Isn't that the truth!!!

BTW Fantastic job on that fan... I think you really took us back! :cool

1 - 16 of 16 Posts