My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a craftsman 19.5 hp LT 1000 that has worked fine for years but this season it won't do anything when I turn the key. I've charged the battery and I also tried jumping it just in case the battery was bad but still nothing happens.

I don't know much about these and am hoping someone can either provide or point me to an easy to understand troubleshooting sequence so I can figure out what to do. It's becoming a glaring item on my "Honey Do" List so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

DadGuy

·
Administrator
6,223 Posts
Welcome to the forum DadGuy! Do you hear any slight "click" sound when you turn the key?

Do you have a DC voltmeter to use for testing?

·
Founding Administrator
1,256 Posts
After checking for a "click" when turning the key, check all of the safeties by working them several times. Make sure the blades are turned off, make sure it is indeed in neutral, sitting in the seat. After that we'll move on to the next step. Should not be difficult to diagnose at all.

Do you have a set of jumper cables available for the next test?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok,

The model # is 917.271813. I don't hear any click when I turn the key either with the battery on board or with a jump from another battery. I see where the red battery cable goes to a cylinder shaped metal housing and that connection looks clean and tight. I'm still trying to figure out where the fuse is to check that.

I'm downloading the manual off managemylife now to see if it helps me locate it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't locate a fuse which according to the manual is behind the instrument panel. I see wires to the battery charge indicator, wires to the key switch but I don't see anything that looks like a fuse panel or an inline fuse. Is the fuse gonna look like an automotive fuse? the little glass ones or maybe the 2 prong plug in plastic ones? I have a craftsman digital multimeter but I've only ever used it to check continuity so checking for voltage (even setting it correctly to do so) I'm not sure how to do...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok... found the fuse...it was on kind of a separate wire loop and was a 20 amp 2 prong plastic type. When I pulled it out of the socket, only one metal leg chose to join us. So I'm trying to get the remaining leg out of the socket then will go find a replacement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Success! I pried the separated fuse leg out of the socket, popped a new one in, and viola! It started. Thanks for all the assistance!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts