My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, this is my first post on this site. My issue today is this:

I have a 38" simplicity with a 15.5hp briggs single cylinder ohv engine. The problem it has is that it burns oil/gas. There is gas in the oil as well. I researched this and several people said the carb was trashed and needed rebuilt, so, I installed a brand new one. This has still not solved the problem. I popped the head off, replaced the head gasket, adjusted the valves, and compression tested it (110lbs). It still burns a lot of blue smoke from the exhaust, as well as the crank case breather that leads into the airbox. Any ideas what to do now? Thanks!!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
:welcome: to MLMF!

From what you describe and have already done, it sounds like the piston rings are worn and that it's getting blow by. Typically this is a sign of a well used engine that could use a rebuild.

If you plan to continue using the machine as-is you can try running a slightly thicker oil although I wouldn't go too overboard with a much thicker viscosity.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
The compression does sound on the high end, but from you describe at least it points to the rings imo.

Perhaps others will chime in with some other ideas.

·
Administrator
6,224 Posts
Another point of entry for gas getting into the crankcase could be a vacuum operated fuel pump if it is so equipped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have checke for gas overflow and theres no problems there. Just changed the oil and there was a lot of gas in it, it smokes like a banshee when under a load (pto engaged) but doesn't smoke when just idling

1 - 8 of 8 Posts