My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the bottom half of the BBC removed but now I'm trying to get the top half off of the crankshaft. The manual says to crank down on the special bolt, which I believe is the 5/8-11 bolt that another source references, and it should come off. I tried using a bolt but I'm afraid of doing damage. Is this really the way to do it? I've also tried using a puller with the arms around the top top plate with the elongated hole to no avail. The arrow in the image points to the threads on the top half of the clutch where the bolt would thread in. Any suggestions? I don't need to worry about keeping it because the engine is going to be used for something else but I don't want to damage the crank.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
yes, that is the way to use it, it will press it off the crankshaft. plan on bringing your engine to a machinist though to have the shaft turned down because it WILL be stepped or tapered

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just an update. I let it set with some WD40 (couldn't find my PB Blaster :() for a few days and it slipped right off with the bolt. It is a straight, keyed shaft underneath. Now to find the right size square key to go with a Snapper blade adapter....:2th:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts