My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.
I know these have an inherent coil problem that can be solved by baking sometimes, but I am just going to buy a new coil if it needs to be replaced. I have a question before I replace the coil though.

The ignition cutoff switch that is connected to the flywheel stop is intact, but is there an adjustment to make sure it isn't grounding out and stopping the spark? It looks to have a lot of play and it releases the flywheel fine, but Im concerned about the kill switch.

I guess my problem is that I cant check for spark if the coil is bad, but I don't know the coil is bad because I cant tell if the "switch" at the end of the cable is good.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have absolutely no idea whatsoever.
Ive been told there are two types of switches on different models (same engine). One is "circuit closed" to complete the circuit. The other is "circuit open" to let it run. I have no idea which this is because I cant see the "switch" when holding the bail and it hasn't ran since last year.

This thing starts and runs when it wants too. That's why I am leaning toward the coil. I would hate to get the coil on, gap it, fuel it and then have it be something else especially if it is just a matter of a few thousandths of an inch causing it not to start.

The few times it has started, it started easily and ran fine until I let go of the bail. New plug, fresh good mix, new plug and blade. Then it will not start again until days/months later when it decides its in the mood. I think I will coat the new coil in silicone right off the bat to further seal it from moisture.
Sound like a good idea or not?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I messed up a little. All this time I thought it was a 10515 and it is a 10520. Not much difference that I see, but still I should have known. I figured out the switch I think. When the bail is pulled, the flywheel brake is pulled back and the switch is ungrounded at the same time.

I have straightened out the bail on the handlebar and almost everything works as it should, but still have two other problems and then it should be all sorted out.

First off, should I just use regular grease in the gearbox for the three speed tranny or is there something else I should use?

Next, I need the part number for a new flywheel brake/coil switch cable like in the picture above. I cant seem to find the listings for cables anywhere. I checked parts tree and such, but no cables listed. Maybe generic replacements? I wouldn't think so but anything is possible these days!

Once this is dealt with and fixed, I think it should run and perform like its supposed too. :p

·
Registered
91 Posts
I made my own replacement cable from some stranded steel wire I got at the hardware store, re-using the outer shroud from the old cable. I had to do some imaginative engineering to create ends on the replacement cable.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did manage to get a new cable for it. The way it was represented in the diagram....well lets just say it wasn't the greatest exploded diagram. I saw where someone used a block of wood to make a mold, place the cable end in the cavity and pour lead over the mesh wire to make their own custom cable end.

Here it is, finished and running finally. I mowed with it several times and probably will again to mulch up leaves before sucking them up with the Billygoat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts