My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my daughter-in-law's father's mower the other day to give it a tune up and going over. It's a 2003 Lawn Boy model 10323 with steel deck and Dura Force engine. Other than being covered in what has to be 10 years of oil, grass clippings and grime, things have been going pretty well so far.

Changing a new spark plug and air filter was a snap. Full can of foamy engine cleaner and I can tell it's green and see the carb again. Blade came off easy, and about a half a bushel of grass from under the deck wasn't a big deal.

However, it doesn't look like changing the drive belt is going to be that easy. For some reason or another, I can not get to the Lawn Boy/Toro owner's manuals on my computer, so I'm turning to those in the know for Lawn Boys.

What do you have to do to change the drive belt on this mower? Is it necessary to remove the engine from the deck to get this done?

Hopefully someone give me a step by step on this? Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Evidently changing the drive belt isn't meant for the homeowner to do. The owner's manual tells how to adjust it, but nary a word of how to change it.:scratch:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Changing the belt. First, disconnect the drive-cable (that goes to bail on handlebar) from transmission. Remove the belt-shroud on top of deck (1 screw). This exposes the belt and transmission. Remove the guard over the belt and pulley. You should be able to then slip belt off transmission pulley, if belt is still there.

Turn mower over and remove blade and blade adaptor, remove muffler. Pull spark plug. Rotate crankshaft so allen-nut hole is exposed on belt-pulley on crankshaft. Use appropriate sized allen-wrench or allen head socket to remove allen head bolt holding pulley to crankshaft. Slide pulley down enough to remove belt from pulley and place new belt on pulley. (You may have to clean up crankshaft to get the pulley to move). Note...the allen-bolt goes into a hole on crankshaft. Be sure to align pulley with hole, so the allen-bolt will go into hole, otherwise if you just tighten pulley bolt against crankshaft, it will loosen up in short order. Reassemble everything in order of disassembly.

There, you're done! Whew!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts