My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 10247 SilverPro DuraForce for $20 yesterday!!
I don't think the kid selling it knew what he had, as he explained that he
bought a new electric mower this year, so the Lawnboy had sat since spring. Got the mower, side bag, mulch plate, gas can, operator's manual
and original purchase receipt from '99 that showed it was bought for $358.
It was pretty dirty, so did the basic cleanup on it, looked in tank and saw that it was full...uh oh....tried starting and first pull start! :ThumbUp:
Amazing what people will give away. I know these mowers had a recall on the gas tanks way back...
CPSC - CPSC, Lawn-Boy Inc. Announce Recall of Power Mowers

How do you tell if it has been replaced. Sorry for no pics, it got too dark on me last night.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
That Lawnboy will probably still be running long after his new electric mower dies and gets recycled into something else. :D

I don't know on the L&G products but sometimes on consumer grade electronics and appliances the manufacture sends a sticker along with the replacement parts the servicer is suppose to place by the model tag or possibly on the replaced part that notes an update or specific recall has been performed on the unit.

·
Ret. Moderator
498 Posts
I am sure if you contact Toro they should have the serial numbers of the mowers in which the recall was performed. Does yours start with "21" ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, doesn't start with the 21.
This thing runs great...1/2 pull and she's going. Runs like new.
Best $20 I've spent in awhile.
Here's a pic after a little mulching/bagging of leaves.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Great score!! I love those deals too! Like the free John Deere STX38 I got that only needed new fuel line!!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Congrats and thanks for the photo! Looks to be in great shape. :cool

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Here's my other $20 mower I picked up not too far from my house this fall. Needed a new primer bulb and recoil assembly. I replaced fuel lines and plug, cleaned air filter and she runs great. Can't believe I scored two Duraforces this fall for $40. The bag was hardly used on this one. I got rid of my older LB I had (L21ZSPM) for $20 too, so guess I got them both for $20. I usually never see these deals.:cool

Attachments

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Very nice finds!

The "Big wheel" Model DuraForce machines are actually rather rare, As I believe they made them for only 2 or 3 years!

I have found mowers for $20, But almost never Lawn Boys.. You don't happen to be in Minnesota do you? I know there are more Lawn Boy mowers there than anywhere else in the country.. and you can get amazing deals.

-Stan :cool

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stan, yes I'm in St. Paul, MN...
There are some good Lawnboy deals occasionally on CL around here, but
usually it's the older stuff. I've been on the lookout for Duraforces for a while, and you never usually see them for under $50-60 not running.
Think I just got lucky at the right time of the year on these.
I have never seen the big-rear wheel type before, so was wondering about that one. It sure feels good in the hands!!

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Hi! Those Duraforce mowers were a great find. Last fall my mail carrier lady was talking to me about some Lawnboy stuff she had been delivering to me and she said she had a Lawnboy mower in her garage that she no longer used and that I could have. Went to look at it to decide if it was worth picking up, although the price was right, and it ended up being a 1998 Duraforce that she bought new and hadn't used for the last two or three years. She said she never really liked the mower anyway so I brought it home. It was so packed full of grass under the mower that the blade wouldn't even spin. Well after some extensive cleaning it started and ran great. I ended up giving it to my daughter in law and took her 1997 Lawnboy 4 cycle. Cleaned it up and sold it to my neighbor for $25.00. Here is a picture of the Duraforce.
Also, if you search gas tank recalls for Lawnboy it only applies to mowers starting with serial number 21. Also there was a problem with the mulch fan on these and the factory was sending out replacement reinforced mulch fans so see if yours still has the mulch fan and if it has the small embossed recessed reinforced areas. The problem involved vibration and the mulch fans were cracking and pieces were breaking off. Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Those are great deals. As you know those DF engines are powerful! If they surge, no big deal as it is an easy fix. The right throttle plate vent hole and possibly a briggs & stratton pilot jet and you are really into some serious power.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts