My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very new to this forum so I have been looking around and found this section. It looked like it needed a new thread so I will add one of the mowers I made and have been using since 2003.
Since then I have replaced the cover plates (they rusted out) and moved the wheels forward to allow for larger 14" diameter wheels. (my ground is kind of bumpy)

The mower would be in the "finish Mower" category not a "bush hog" as it was intended to mow my 3 acre lawn without taking all day not knocking down 2 foot high grass and weeds.
I made all the parts myself including the spindles, shafts, frame, and even the mower blades. As you can see it has three blades that overlap each other and the deck was built so that it could flex and follow the terrain.

It is mounted to a 1951 Allis Chalmers WD that handles it very nicely.

Enjoy
Ray

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Looks to be a well made mower. Do you have to make the blades every time or are they a standard size? When you say overlap, do you mean staggered where the blade paths over lap or the blades themselves are timed to overlap each other?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The blades are staggered and not timed.

I make the blades from mild flat steel they last about 3 years before I need to make another set for about $15. I did try some commercial made blades that were hardened and had a twist in them for mulching. They only lasted 6 months. The twist sucked up the sand and ate them up.
Ray

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
OK, sounds like a Florida issue with sugar sand. I do my part in keeping the blade company in business. :sidelaugh

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
102" :cool :2th:

That's as wide as an 18-wheeler

I bet you can do some serious cutting with that!!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wow, that is a nice mower deck! Now you have me thinking about making one for my 1949 Oliver 88! I love those old AC's, they are a nice sized fun tractor. With a narrow front, how is stability at speed? 4th gear must be thrilling!!! Very cool tractor and setup. Now you just need to give your ole WD a nice new coat of paint!

Chris

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well you are right about the paint.

I just got into making decals on the CNC last month so one of the first projects was a set for my WD tractor. The decals turned out so well I thought I had better paint the hood first before installing them.
Now it looks out of place so I guess I will just have to continue painting a piece at a time.

Ray

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's what I need!..really nice.
I am building one that I'm going to pull behind my wheelhorse,so I can cut about 78"
each path.
Did you make the wheel swivels also?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts