My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G-day. My JD 100 series la115 will not start. It cranks over good. has plenty off spark at the plug. good fuel at carb, fuse good, brake pedal in pto off.
etc. Just sounds like a safety switch not working or something like that, have checked wiring is tight, all seems good. At a loss what to do now. Any other ideas . Thanks
Terry :soap:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Safety switches work on two levels
1) prevent engine from cranking
2) earth out the coils so prevent the coil sparking.

So by default if it cranks & sparks, most of the safetys are good.

If there is a fuel solenoid hanging off the float bowl this is a likely suspect as it blocks off the main jet which all the fuel must pass through.

·
Registered
730 Posts
When you removed the carb solenoid, was the bowl full of gas...Perhaps the choke plate is not closing fully...If unsure, Try spraying some carb cleaner down throat...Carefull...somethings got to happen now.!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Next part is to use some starter fluid or pour some fuel down the carb.
If it runs for a short time you have a fuel delivery problem.
If it does got fire pull off the top covers and check the flywheel key

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
G-Day . I took the solenoid to town{45 mins away, only go in once aweek or so} had it checked,they said it was good. Yes there is fuel in bowl when you take solenoid off. Just been playing with it now Turned it over for 10 seconds or so. Was going to take bowl off and check level of fuel. Solenoid was very hot to touch... is this normal or is this a possible problem.:dunno:

·
Registered
157 Posts
not to dismiss what the mechanics said, but don't those selinoids make a audible click when the key is switched? did you try to starter fluid route?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Seems to me solenoid will be warm...but not very Hot ! you can check it yourself..remove from carb, hold in hand, turn key oh...will see plunger retract...
You never answered on whether your choke butterfly is fully closed when you try to start....or if you were able to spray carb cleaner or starting fluid ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
G-Day Thanks everyone. This has me pulling my hair out, I have been playing with all sorts of motors for 40 yrs. Got fuel, got spark, motor should go.
Tryed starter fluid ,still did not fire. Choke butterfly is good. Take spark plug out is damp with fuel. The spark will jump a good 1/2 inch to earth while turning over. Compression seems good while plug is out.
Will take solenoid out tomorrow ,check if it retracts but should be good if plug is wet.
Next thing i can think of, may be condensor,not sure where that fits in the order off spark system. Thanks everone.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Next part is to use some starter fluid or pour some fuel down the carb.
If it runs for a short time you have a fuel delivery problem.
If it does got fire pull off the top covers and check the flywheel key
Maybe checking the flywheel key is worth a try. From all you said, you have fuel and spark. It sounds like it's not sparking at the right time which might be from a damaged or broken key.

·
Registered
730 Posts
With a healthy 1/2" spark, and fuel in cylinder....Would think the problem is either the flywheel key [as Bruce just mentioned]...OR...The fuel is Not flammable..Can you drain and replace the gas? No sense wasting your time on condensers,,,if you find some mounted on engine, they won't have anything to do with your ignition system..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts