My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Driving down the road the other day enjoying the fall colors. I was kicked back in the passenger seat looking out that side of the car while my wife was driving. Suddenly she said, hey, there's a mower on the side of the road. I looked back in time to catch a flash of red and the recognizable handle of a Personal Pace.

We turned around and sure enough, it was a Toro Personal Pace Recycler obviously put to the curb. So we loaded it up and brought it home. It is a model 20332 made in 2009.

Initial examination revealed what must have been the original air filter which was so dirty it seemed a wonder any air could pass through at all. No problem, I happened to have a new one on hand.

I put some gas in it and after a few tugs it started. But, after running a bit it smoked. So I changed the oil putting the recommended amount in. I've used it a couple of times since then and no signs of smoke at all. I'm going to guess someone had overfilled it or turned it over with the carb side down.

Thing most needed is a new pair drive wheels and an adjustment of the drive cable. Otherwise, this might be a keeper. Here's a before and after clean up picture. 90C03F2F-D92D-44A0-81C8-ECAF2B48F4A0_1602545510255.jpeg

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Nice find, Bruce! I like how Judy spotted it for you! :)

Nice work getting that guy going again. Nice when you have parts like the air filter in stock, already to go, for times like these.

Good save!

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Judy has a way if finding these things. She spotted that little Simplicity tractor as we were heading down the road too.

I’m pretty stoked with this find. This is the second Personal Pace I’ve had pass through my garage. (Remember “Junk Yard Dog”?) I kind of like it and this one just might be a keeper.

The new drive wheels and a side discharge chute are on their way as we speak. I spent some quality time in the garage cleaning, degreasing and waxing it the other day.

My good ol’ MTD push mower that has served me so well is now 21 years old, meaning my shoulders are 21 years older too, so self propel is kind of an attractive feature and time to retire the MTD.

·
Registered
18 Posts
very nice... i had 2 of those come in as freebies this season. both needed just minor work and they each sold for tidy profits.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a follow up on the road find Toro.
The drive wheels were replaced with new ones, but the grinding noise continued. There weren’t any signs of the gears on the new wheels being ground down like originals were so I did some searching the ol’ inter web.
One posting I found said the problem is caused by misalignment of the back wheels. The poster took care of the same grinding noise by putting a pry bar between the deck frame and the wheel adjuster arm and pressing the end of the adjustment outward. That aligned the drive wheel gear with the drive gear. Then they put a nut in between the frame and adjuster arm to hold it in that position.
i tried it and the grinding noise is gone. I’ll check it every so often to see if the fix works long term.
BTW, my wife used the Toro for the first time the other day. She couldn’t say enough about how much she liked it. It started easily and the Personal Pace worked so nicely she actually enjoyed mowing!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts