Mylawnmowerforum.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to purchase a 1979 8237 model with the F-140 motor. Other than the obvious questions, is there anything I need to look for or ask about? This will be for my personal use. Person is asking $100. Claims ready to use no issues. Pics look clean.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! The 8237 with the F series, 1979 model, would be the second year for the F series. The F engine is arguably one of the best and most reliable engines that Lawnboy ever produced. The 1978 through 1982 are pre compliant with no additional safety bails, etc. I love the older Lawnboys and have 4 of the F push models, a 21" and 3 19". The things I would always look for would be for a deck that has no cracks or damage, 4 matching wheels in good shape, a shroud with no major issues or leaks, and for the mower to be complete as it would have come, i.e. not missing anything. The capstan drive mowers were used for many years by Lawnboy and are reliable although probably not the best propel system out there. I have a couple of the capstan self propel models and have no issues with them once they are adjusted properly. Check for excessive play in the drive axle bushings that go through the handle brackets. Most owners have neglected to remove the plugs in the roller ends and grease seasonally which will create wear. Also the transmission need grease on occasion. The capstan drive mowers used a softer rubber compound in the rear tires to help grip the rollers. Older rubber tires get hard and can slip on the rollers. Also the rollers can be worn as well. That price is very reasonable if the mower is in as good of shape as you think it is. Let us know what you find out and end up doing. Bill

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Did you ever make the purchase? Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts