Dealer Cub Cadet vs Dealer JD - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
Lawn Mower Reviews Got something to say about a lawn mower or product you have used? Share it with the community.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Dealer Cub Cadet vs Dealer JD

Hello all,
I am planning to buy a house this coming summer and will be in need of a riding mower. I am balancing a John Deere X350 and a Cub Cadet XT2 LX46. Any pros or cons of each as well as what are your experiences would be very helpful.

Thank you!
Steven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,345 Times in 1,050 Posts
Calling... @bwhitsonjr

Hi Steven,

Welcome to our club and congrats on your future prospects! I've enlisted a member who has experience with a similar machine so he might be able to offer some advice.

I don't have personal experience with these two models but I will suggest visiting both dealers and taking a test drive of each to see what feels most comfortable.

"We donít look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever." - 2 Corinthians 4:18 1958 Eclipse 32" Speedway l Restored Eclipse Sulky l 1947 Jacobsen 26" Lawn King Jacobsen 36-A Sulky Restored 1949 Jacobsen 20" Lawn Queen l Honda HRB215 l 1977 Economy Tractor l 1971 Bolens 1886-01
The Following User Says Thank You to Austen For This Useful Post:
BusinessGPSLLC (02-10-2017)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Austen! I look forward to hearing what information they have to share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 12:15 PM

Howdy,

And Thank you for joining the club! You'll come to a point when comparing these two machines that it's personal preference. You won't be able to make a final decision, IMO, unless you sit on both and even take them for a test run.

You may even know more about these machines than we do after you do your research.

I can only speak from personal experience with Cub Cadet. I too have look at the X300 series models of JD and compared them with Cub Cadet. A couple of reasons why I chose Cub over JD was:

-Cub dealer was known to me and reviews from local people had nothing but good things to say about Service after the sale! (That's important in my book)

-When out of warranty the parts are more readily available for my Cub since it's owned by MTD. They have a lot of aftermarket parts priced affordably. (JD is normally parts only through dealer and can be quite expensive)

-I liked where the fuel tank was located under the hood with a nice fuel gauge on the side (I never had to lift the hood to fill tank) VS the under seat tank with JD and the not so good guage. (personal preference)

-The Cub has a sharper turning radius with allows for less backing up time and more forward driving

-Cub ignition switch has a backup feature that when activated you can go forward and reverse VS JD you have to push the white backup button every time before backing up (Again not a biggie but can save a lot of time)

I could keep going on but as you can see I'm partial to the Cub. They both feature the same transmission K46 by Tuff Torq. No difference there. Depending on the size deck the X350 comes with either 42" or 48" sizes. Whereas the Cub comes with a 46". Size may be important to you.

Here's where they split:
-JD features there 18.5 iTorque Power System which is really an 18.5 HP Kawasaki V-Twin. Between using Kohler, Briggs, and Kawasaki. I preferred the Kawa with the XT2 LX46 I owned a couple of years ago. That particular model featured an actual 21.5 HP Kawa. I regret getting rid of it... The current LX46 comes with a respectable

-24HP Kohler V-twin on the Cub. Again a good engine. It mainly depends on the care of the machine that determines longevity IMO.

-The Cub comes with arm rests whereas the JD does not.

-I have seen how JD discharges and how Cub discharges. Cub takes pride on the cut and that shows when you use it. Each pass seems to really throw, more like broadcast the grass from the chute with Cub. My father-in-law has a D130 and the grass just clumps out of the chute. It doesn't produce the same results to me.

Narrowing it down... The JD comes with a 4yr/300 hr limited warranty.
The Cub comes with a 3yr/Unlimited hr warranty.

The JD costs $3199 retail
The Cub costs $1999 retail

For the money you get a really good value with the Cub. It depends on what you were thinking of spending. You won't be disappointed with the Cub. I've heard you may get a little more use and years out of the JD. I think it's probably built a little beefier and obviously they believe in the machine to give it a longer warranty.

But I return to my original statement and say go try both out. The Cub just may WOW! you. You may not like the service or sale from the JD dealer? You have to think of Service after the sale.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask... And Good Luck!

P.S. Please keep us updated on your decision!
Austen, wh55, Ericjr16 and 1 others like this.

2009 John Deere X300 38" Deck K46 tranny
Troy-bilt 25cc String Trimmer
Stihl BG-55 Gas Blower
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bwhitsonjr For This Useful Post:
Austen (02-10-2017), BusinessGPSLLC (02-10-2017), Ericjr16 (02-11-2017), Mark / Ohio (02-11-2017)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Wow what a great response! Thank you so much for such a detailed comparison. Price will definitely be a deciding factor for me and it seems the Cub is every bit as good if not better in some areas for a grand less. I do love the Kawasaki on my dads zero-turn, but my grandfather was a strict Kohler man his whole life so I greatly respect both brands. I will make the trips out to the respective dealers once the weather becomes nice for more than 2 days at a time (Virginia has been a crazy temperature roller coaster this winter) and will make the decision. Once I buy it later this summer I will make sure to post some pictures of the new machine!
Thank you again!
-Steven
Austen and Ericjr16 like this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 12:27 AM

Gladly! If you find yourself at a crossroads.... Because we've all been there. Let us know your thoughts about each machine once you test them out and check back with us.

Texas has been it's own roller coaster this year. So I hear where your coming from.

Whereabouts in VA? I used to visit my dad in the summers when he lived there for years. They were in Fredricksberg, and then moved to Stafford. I enjoyed our visits to West Virginia, and D.C. The most fun we had was fishing the James river and riding the canoe. Great memories. At least they had 4 season there and the humidity wasn't nearly as bad as it is here in Texas.
Ericjr16 likes this.

Stihl BG-55 Gas Blower
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

I actually went to college in Fredericksburg at the University of Mary Washington and my sister teaches in Stafford County so I know that area very well. I live in Warrenton which is only about 30 miles north of there. Last year we had 2.5 feet of snow, this year it's 30 degrees for 3 days then 70 the next two.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessGPSLLC View Post
I actually went to college in Fredericksburg at the University of Mary Washington and my sister teaches in Stafford County so I know that area very well. I live in Warrenton which is only about 30 miles north of there. Last year we had 2.5 feet of snow, this year it's 30 degrees for 3 days then 70 the next two.
Wow! That's crazy!

I remember when we drove up for his wedding in 1994. That was the longest drive of my life and when we got there beginning of March it had just snowed the night before.

Stihl BG-55 Gas Blower
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

I can definitely see that being a looooong drive. My other sister lives in Spring, TX and when she comes to visit the first thing she says when she pops out of the car is how she never wants to make that drive again! :tango_fac e_smile_bi
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessGPSLLC View Post
I can definitely see that being a looooong drive. My other sister lives in Spring, TX and when she comes to visit the first thing she says when she pops out of the car is how she never wants to make that drive again! :tango_fac e_smile_bi
I feel her pain...

But I'm sure it's all worth it when she finally gets to visit with brother and family

Stihl BG-55 Gas Blower
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page