My Lawnmower Forum banner

Cleaning electrical connections

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  LT 111 
#1 ·
I've been having issues with getting power to my John Deere 260. I replaced the ignition switch and the PTO switch, and while I was able to get the power, and get it running it still seems like I'm having connection issues. I fired it up last night, turned the lights on the PTO on, and the aux light turned it back off to get one of the lights working again went to fire it up, and no power. I jiggled the connector on the PTO then did the same to the ignition switch then got my power back, I'm hoping this isn't the new norm. The terminals in the plug don't look too bad, but what is a good way to get them cleaned up that isn't too intrusive and doesn't involve soaking them, I don't have a garage.

#2 ·
I think that model uses the #56 terminals. I have had to remove mine from the connector blocks and clean or replace them with new ones. My Dremel tool has a small wire brush that works pretty good for cleaning. Sometimes it's just as easy to replace the terminal, their available at auto parts stores and on line. Video on removing the terminals from the blocks.
Cannon

#3 ·
You may want to look at the seat switch and the brake switch connections and make sure they are tight when plugged in. Also look at all the connectors from the wire end. If you see any that are pushed out, even a little, push it back in and make sure the fit is tight. When it happens again, just do 1 "trick" at a time. Wiggle the ignition switch wires, then try to start it. If no start, wiggle PTO switch wires, then try to start it. Keep trying one thing at a time. When it does start it will PROBABLY be the last thing you did. Try not to move any of the harness while you are looking for the problem, in case the problem is the harness. A 12 volt test light is a must have, and an electrical schematic, for this model, would be very helpful to diagnose an intermittent electrical problem. Good luck, and please let us know what the problem was, when you find it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.