Outline for High School class on small engines - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
General Lawnmower Repair Have a question not brand-specific? Ask it here. Changing oil, sharpening a blade, changing a spark plug? Ask your questions here!

5Likes
  • 2 Post By Joe Kuhn
  • 2 Post By motorhead12
  • 1 Post By Joe Kuhn

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Outline for High School class on small engines

Day 1: Welcome to Small Engines 401 for fourth year students and any other year students interested in learning about small engines, their repair and maintenance.

Today we're going to learn about carburetor repair and maintenance.

To avoid most carb problems, you put Stabil in your gas can, what's it called?

(Stabil)

Yes, Stabil - it's a fuel stabilizer for all gasoline engines. What's it do?

(Stabilizes fuel)

Yeah, what's the problem with fuel these days? Does anybody know?

(silence)

The ethanol in fuel goes bad in a month or two, particularly over the winter and then your mower won't start in the spring or your snow blower won't start when it first snows after the gasoline went bad in the gas tank during the long summer.

What's the problem with fuel these day?

(The ethanol in fuel goes bad after about 2 months.)

Yes and what's the effect on your machines like lawn mower, snow blowers and chain saws?

(They won't start)

Yes, they won't start. For the rest of the class period we're going to take carburetors apart and see what ethanol does to cause problems. (Write 'carburetor' on the board and underline the 'u' and say 'carb', 'er' spelled with a 'u', then circle the 'e' and say 'ay spelled with an 'e', 'tor'. This spelling will be on your test. Look at that weird spelling.

(As they leave at the end of the period, each student must spell the long version of 'carb' in order to get out of the class. Erase the board right before they leave after repeating the emphasis on the letters. It doesn't matter if they all hear the spelling over and over again as other students leave. It'll help them remember how to spell the word.)

We've gotten each of you a machine from the local metal recycling facility in town. Get your tool box out and take the top cover off and then the air cleaner. (supervise)

Now take your carb-er-ator with a 'u' and an 'e' off the machine (supervise).

Now put some rubber gloves on and take your carb-er-ator apart (supervise noting the crud and thick stuff found in specific carbs as the class progresses).

Day 2. Continue above until several problem examples have been found.

Day 3. Order parts to rebuild carbs by looking up the kits on-line using machine model numbers, etc, whatever is needed to get the kits ordered.

Day 4. Rebuild the carbs, whether they need it or not, with kits that were pre-ordered by the teacher.

Day 5. Re-assemble the machines and see that they run.

When the carb kits come in, the students get to keep them as reminders of what they learned. Look for other problems for week 2, 3 and 4 as you fix carbs.

---------------

Revise above to include gas and oil removal and disposal, on each of the machines before even taking the carbs off the machines. A lesson on oil comes to mind as there will surely be a lot of very black oil in the machines. Some will probably be overfilled. Watch for that specifically. Check the oil and fill the gasoline lesson would be good. Watch for bad smelling gas and let everybody smell it when it's found.

---------------

Just the above is enough to take you into weeks 2, 3 and possibly 4. Something on wrench and socket sizes would be good. Use rulers to show sizes marked on the tools.

Talk about oil types and what is appropriate for summer and winter use...

Eh?
motorhead12 and Grunt like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Kuhn For This Useful Post:
Grunt (07-27-2020), motorhead12 (08-02-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

Oh, a segment should be included on reading the label on the Stabil container and actually measuring and mixing with gas. Everybody gets a little bottle of Stabil to take home and show their parents what they're learning and use it at home in their own machines.

Last edited by Joe Kuhn; 07-27-2020 at 03:19 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

What'd I miss?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

A kid in our neighborhood put oil in the gas and ran the mower until it stopped. Something to add to the module on "Fill up the gas and check the oil" - where to put the oil, how to check it...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,236 Times in 1,141 Posts
This would be a great idea! A couple years ago I went back to my high school and taught the engineering class students how to tear apart lawn mower engines and do some basic repairs. Amazing how little even the supposedly "handy" kids with all their coding knowledge know about basic gas engines, though I suppose it shouldn't be surprising in today's world. I donated a few dead motors and now the teacher spends I think a week on it each year. I think it's a shame that the only students who get any exposure (at least in my district) are the vo-tech kids who take a bus to a regional trade school center; the vast majority of students who can't wait to go to college and accrue crushing debt totally miss out on practical life skills like this.

Back to what you've outlined here; this is exactly the kind of thing that a motivated STEM/Engineering teacher, people increasingly common at modern high schools, would love to get their hands on. These folks are typically not engine people, but the ones I've met with recognize the value of complimenting their computer/robotics etc. based curricula with practical, everyday skills like these. Seems to me they're aware of the phenomena of highly educated engineers that can't get their mowers running after sitting with gas in it all winter....
Grunt and Joe Kuhn like this.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead12 View Post
This would be a great idea! ... Seems to me they're aware of the phenomena of highly educated engineers that can't get their mowers running after sitting with gas in it all winter.
Thanks for your encouraging words and experience. Good to know.

I posted a note on the neighborhood forum after they got the mower running again, about using Stabil in gas. I give small bottles of it away with each repair job I do.
motorhead12 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page