Craftsman deck broken at motor mount - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
General Lawnmower Repair Have a question not brand-specific? Ask it here. Changing oil, sharpening a blade, changing a spark plug? Ask your questions here!

1Likes
  • 1 Post By keakar

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Craftsman deck broken at motor mount

The piece at #1 is broken free (I set it in place for the picture) and there's a piece missing to the outside of that as well. My son thinks he can weld it. I'm thinking a ring could be used that wouldn't involve any welding at all, just a couple more bolts to hold the ring to the deck and then bolt the motor to the ring at #1, #2 & #3 where the engine is normally attached. The other holes could be used to mount the ring to the deck as long as I can get the bolt heads to clear the bottom of the engine. Perhaps carriage bolts would help.

Thoughts? Where could I find a ring that would work?

Also notice the key way on the motor shaft on the left is a bit chewed up. The key itself was completely chewed away and the blade was on so tight, I had to use a pipe on my socket to loosen the nut. Slipped once and drew blood. I hate it when the blade bolt head is worn. Not giving up on this one!
Attached Images
File Type: gif deck.GIF (255.6 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Joe Kuhn; 06-22-2020 at 10:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kuhn View Post
The piece at #1 is broken free (I set it in place for the picture) and there's a piece missing to the outside of that as well. My son thinks he can weld it. I'm thinking a ring could be used that wouldn't involve any welding at all, just a couple more bolts to hold the ring to the deck and then bolt the motor to the ring at #1, #2 & #3 where the engine is normally attached. The other holes could be used to mount the ring to the deck as long as I can get the bolt heads to clear the bottom of the engine. Perhaps carriage bolts would help.

Thoughts? Where could I find a ring that would work?

Also notice the key way on the motor shaft on the left is a bit chewed up. The key itself was completely chewed away and the blade was on so tight, I had to use a pipe on my socket to loosen the nut. Slipped once and drew blood. I hate it when the blade bolt head is worn. Not giving up on this one!
#1 is a lot more then that, you can see the crack runs all the way up into the shell as well

not wanting to give up is admirable but you have to measure materials and labor involved and the best possible outcome if all goes well

its better to use that motor on another shell then waste time on that busted up thing

adding a ring of metal is not as simple as you think and it has to be cut from a flat sheet then welded and drilled, the extra cracks need welding, and to be honest, with all that crack damage you either had a bent out of balanced blade or the crankshaft is bent
Grunt likes this.

You can only learn if you ask the question, so there are no dumb questions.
The Following User Says Thank You to keakar For This Useful Post:
Joe Kuhn (06-23-2020)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

My son and I turned it over and found even more cracks by the #2 mounting hole. He said exactly what you guys just said. It's not worth fixing & put it on the curb (after I grab parts).

But I've got blood invested in this one...Ok, I'm convinced.

Engine main shaft is straight though! And I need that self propelled pulley system for another that goes so fast, I can hardly keep up. The pulleys are different sizes, so I'll exchange some parts and see if the one with the good deck slows down any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kuhn View Post
My son and I turned it over and found even more cracks by the #2 mounting hole. He said exactly what you guys just said. It's not worth fixing & put it on the curb (after I grab parts).

But I've got blood invested in this one...Ok, I'm convinced.

Engine main shaft is straight though! And I need that self propelled pulley system for another that goes so fast, I can hardly keep up. The pulleys are different sizes, so I'll exchange some parts and see if the one with the good deck slows down any.
strip it bare and put the shell out by the road, everything else can be usable for parts with other mowers and as soon as you find one with a bad engine, bolt your engine on it and you have a complete mower to sell after. you never think you would ever need a complete replacement handle yet if you do you cant just get one anywhere so i save everything, every thing, right down to mounting bolts and lock nuts

i dont mess with push mowers but i strip everything, nothing gets scraped except bare shells including bad engines, i always pull the head and push rods out and depending on the failure the crank rods too and put them on the shelf. a simple connecting rod, if bought new, can cost you over $100

You can only learn if you ask the question, so there are no dumb questions.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

Found a 7 inch angled ring for $15, so I ordered it. It fits perfectly under the deck.

https://www.oneida-air.com/7-inch-ga...le-ring-flange

I drilled 3 holes for the engine after marking them through the holes in the deck with a black marker. Then I bolted the ring to the deck via those 3 holes and drilled holes in the deck to match the holes in the ring. These holes will provide a solid footing for the ring which will then hold the engine in place.

I've got to get some bolts with lock nuts and I'm done. Not sure I can convince my son to weld up the cracks, but I don't think it will matter as there are enough solid points to do the job.

I do have to cut a slot in the ring for the drive belt going to the back wheels, but that shouldn't be a problem with my angle grinder.

Hey, it's a hobby and I like to test ideas. I'll take the trade off in cost for the learning.
Attached Images
File Type: gif ring.GIF (40.8 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Joe Kuhn; 07-01-2020 at 03:47 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Here's a picture of the ring from below the deck. I painted it with some Rustoleum spray paint and put the new bolts in from above with some lock nuts. You can see the cut out I had to do to get the space for the belt to come through.
Attached Images
File Type: gif below.GIF (137.9 KB, 0 views)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

And here's the view from above just before putting the motor on. The holes in the ring for the motor mount had to be 1/2" to give me the slop to get all 3 bolts started. I did not weld anything as I believe the pressure will be on the 5 silver bolts.

I couldn't put a 6th bolt in just above the belt because it was too close and I was afraid the belt might rub on it, although it probably would have been ok.
Attached Images
File Type: gif above.GIF (144.9 KB, 0 views)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Motor is on after cutting some off the clamp at the red arrow to make it fit. That clamp is for the rubber cover that keeps the grass out.
Attached Images
File Type: gif motor.GIF (133.7 KB, 0 views)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Cover fit pretty well after shaving some extra off to make it fit with the new ring.

Everything felt solid so I mowed with it and I believe it'll hold. Noticed the left rear wheel doesn't turn, but I've fixed that before. Also had to get a thinner belt as the one that was on it was way too thick.

Done. We'll see how long it lasts. Any guesses? Note this is a hobby, not a money making venture, so my purpose here is to try a fix and learn from it. It's remarkable how well that ring fit.
Attached Images
File Type: gif cover.GIF (269.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Joe Kuhn; 07-04-2020 at 03:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page