Oil Lock a reality? - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
General Lawnmower Repair Have a question not brand-specific? Ask it here. Changing oil, sharpening a blade, changing a spark plug? Ask your questions here!

9Likes
  • 1 Post By bwdbrn1
  • 3 Post By keakar
  • 2 Post By motorhead12
  • 1 Post By Joe Kuhn
  • 1 Post By bwdbrn1
  • 1 Post By motorhead12

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Oil Lock a reality?

Can your engine seize up from too much oil?

While walking the dog, I found a Troy-Built on the curb and talked to the owner who said the engine was seized. I lifted the front end and moved the blade about 3 inches with no problem. Seemed like it wasn't seized to me. Owner had already purchased a new one...

It ended up at my house where I changed the oil that was about an inch overfull and black. Dumped the gas, put 30 weight back in, added fresh fuel and it started first pull. (Also added handle bolts that had been snitched, a replacement cable for the kill lever and cleaned the plug on my wire wheel.) It smoked heavily for about 5 minutes, but then it cleared up and mowed fine.

Son suggested it might have been seized from too much oil. I supposed if oil gets up into the upper part of the engine, that could happen. The smoking was sure evidence that oil had gotten where it shouldn't have been.

Ever hear of an engine seized from too much oil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 06:10 AM

Thanked 1,086 Times in 807 Posts
Hmmm...did you find oil in the air cleaner? The pressure of the piston and all that other stuff whirling around in there has to be relieved somewhere and that’s the job of the breather. Or at least that’s my understanding. I suppose if you fill the crankcase up until nothing more will go in then give the rope a mighty tug nothing is going to move until it can find a place to squeeze out the excess.
Joe Kuhn likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

The air cleaner was brand new, so I'm guessing the previous owner tried replacing that as an attempt to fix the problem. And you're right, air is way more compressible than a liquid (oil), so I'm supposing that's what caused this owner to scrap it to the curb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kuhn View Post
Son suggested it might have been seized from too much oil.
Ever hear of an engine seized from too much oil?

yes, its called hydro locking, liquid cant be compressed, only gasses can.

most often its from carbs leaking gas into engines but it happens with oil a well.

simple solution is remove plug and spin it over, any liquid in cylinders will blow right out spraying everywhere, so dont stand in front of the plug hole when you do it lol.

from what you describe, it sounds like the carb leaked and filled the cylinder with gas hydro locking it. gas eventually seeps passed the rings and into the crank case and thats why the oil level was high. see it all the time and it puts out a ton of white smoke when you start them up after.

you will need to clean the carb and put in a new float needle or just replace the carb or it will happen again
motorhead12, laabk2 and Joe Kuhn like this.

You can only learn if you ask the question, so there are no dumb questions.

Last edited by keakar; 05-19-2020 at 10:50 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,231 Times in 1,137 Posts
Yep, bad needle/seat will leak over time and hydro lock an engine. Usually happens when people let it sit with gas all winter and the whole tank drains into the sump gradually. The acid test is sniffing the oil to see if it is super diluted with gas.
keakar and Joe Kuhn like this.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Oil was not diluted with gas as it was black and thick and I didn't notice a smell. I've seen that before and would have noticed. Definitely a possibility though, but not with this one. I think the guy dumped a whole bottle in it instead of a half.

Machine went to neighbor, so I can track any further issues.

Thanks
keakar likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 04:08 PM

Thanked 1,086 Times in 807 Posts
Sounds like a winning deal all around.
Joe Kuhn likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,231 Times in 1,137 Posts
Sounds like you had a good result!
Joe Kuhn likes this.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Checked on the leaking-fuel-into-oil concept and the oil level is right where I left it 2 days prior. Excellent possibility, but ruled out. So I guess I'm left with owner overfilling the oil as a cause. Will see how it mows when new owner first uses it.

Thanks fellas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page