HusqVarna 2448 - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
General Lawnmower Repair Have a question not brand-specific? Ask it here. Changing oil, sharpening a blade, changing a spark plug? Ask your questions here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

HusqVarna 2448

Hi .. My riding mower starts and will slide into gear but when I pull the button for the cutting deck to start cutting the motor dies out even when I have the clutch Brake pedal in. Any ideas as to what could be the problem. I had one person say they fixed it because before they did it would start and run and the cutting deck would work while the cluth was pressed in and as soon as you released the cluth (even with the cutting deck not engaged) the engine would die out.

Any help is appreciated.

Steven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 11:49 AM

is the mower in reverse? that would do it, you cant have the blade on and be in reverse gear

if not, it sounds like you have a bad safety switch

You can only learn if you ask the question, so there are no dumb questions.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
is the mower in reverse? that would do it, you cant have the blade on and be in reverse gear

if not, it sounds like you have a bad safety switch

Keakar. I can start the mower np at all. I can put it into forward and reverse and it drives fine. Even in neutral and clutch pressed in when I engage the Cutter deck the engine dies out. Even when I am in forward the motor will die out as soon as I engage the mower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenR65 View Post
Keakar. I can start the mower np at all. I can put it into forward and reverse and it drives fine. Even in neutral and clutch pressed in when I engage the Cutter deck the engine dies out. Even when I am in forward the motor will die out as soon as I engage the mower.
that sounds to me like the reverse wire is shorted to ground. its only supposed to kill the motor if the blades are on and you put it in reverse

so look for a single ground wire somewhere along the metal shifting arm for reverse.

that is the actual kill the mower contact point, it sounds like that wire itself is grounded to the frame all the time so anytime you engage blades the safety circuit thinks you are trying to cut in reverse so it kills the engine

trace that wire back and see if its shorted to ground and replace it if it is, because you never want to disable safeties

You can only learn if you ask the question, so there are no dumb questions.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 04:28 AM

I would guess that you have a problem with the seat safety switch. I found a wiring diagram here https://c.searspartsdirect.com/mmh/l...M/L0505111.pdf though it may not be your exact model. If I read it right the black wire grounds the engine when the PTO is on and the seat is unoccupied. You cannot unplug the switch to test because the connector has a tab that maintains the ground when the seat switch is unplugged. I had trouble with one once, the connector was grounding all the time even though the seat switch was working. I don't know of a simple way to test the connector other than remove the wires, the switch should be open when occupied. My opinion for what it's worth.
Cannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page